Chapter 27: Stained Glass

ALEX! WAKE UP! ALEX CAN YOU HEAR ME? WAKE UP!

I drowsily wake up remembering all that happened prior.

"THE FLUTE!" I scream

A cold emotionless slap from Ruby wakes me right up.

"So I'm guessing you and the singer fainting simultaneously wasn't a weird coincidence. Right?" Ruby said while scrolling through her phone

"You're not wrong but I still don't know why I fainted," I replied

"Okay, spill! What's up with the flute?" she said eagerly

" I don't know, but it may be one of the relics," I said without much confidence

"Why don't we ask the book?" she asked while turning her head to view me

"We can try but that book talks too much," I replied

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the mini-book. I recited the incantation to return the book to its normal size. Without asking the book a question I open it and turn to the first page. I start flipping through the pages alongside Ruby, passing the story about the original spirit and getting to the creation of the other spirits and their relics. Each entry was accompanied by a stained glass image depicting the spirit and their relic. We flipped through the first three pictures stopping for a quick second to admire each one of their beauty. The first image depicted a man sitting within a courtroom sitting above the world and universe. The man had long hair and his body was covered by a Roman toga only exposing his chest and one of his legs that was crossed on the other. One of his most noticeable features was the blindfold covering his eyes and the trail of blood rolling down his cheek. The final thing we noticed about this image was the scale he held in his hand, the scale looked to be balanced by two eyes one black the other pure gold.

As we turned the page we were met with the image of a lush green garden. In the center of this garden was a beautiful tan woman with long brown hair. Her eyes were a shade of dark forest green. She wore a long white floor-length dress that would leave any bride in envy. My forest animals surrounded her and in her hands was the ever-lasting rose in all its beauty.

We skipped a page that had a lighter green tint with a little yellow. But I stopped in shock when we reached the fourth image. The stained glass artwork was of a male surrounded by the universe. His ears were that of cats. His hair depicted the whole universe from the oldest to the new galaxy. The only part of his body that was covered was his waist by a toga. In his hands, he held a bow and arrow aimed at a black hole. It was my arrow.

"Wait, is that?" Ruby said pointing at the arrow

"Yup it's my arrow" I answered

"Well damn the old spirit was kinda hot," Ruby remarked. I quickly give her a little slap to the wrist as she giggles.

I turn the page once more to a more purple page. In the center being held by a hooded figure was a flute colored black and gold following the trend of the other relics. My hand is drawn to the image of the flute. As my fingers graze the flute it glows and the book pages flip until we reach a glowing page titled The Song of the Dead.

My eyes quickly skim the entry on the page. It reads how the flute was used by the spirit of death to lead people to the afterlife. The songs played by the spirit would peacefully send people to the afterlife. The deadly effects from the song were only if the spirit of death was the one to play it if not the flute would just be normal. This is unless a certain melody is followed by a specific sharp note. The note will kill any people in the vicinity if completed leaving a permanent death field around the area. But as a countermeasure, the spirit of death made it so the one playing the tune would faint before the note had been completed. A side effect of the flute not being played by the spirit is the shock that the other spirits experience while hearing the melody. Unless they are stopped from hearing the deadly melody their physical form will be weakened.

"Ruby... We need to get the flute back"

 We need to get the flute back"