XII

Lotor worked on the school work he was given as he and lance sat on the floor of the living room as they worked together. Lance was focused on tracing the letters as he did each one carefully and traced over the letter with a few different pens to make sure it was better than the one before.

Lotor had black hair dye on his roots as well to let it process over the natural pearl white hair. Allura was upstairs washing her black dye out of her hair.

"You know I could make you flash cards too so you can start learning how to read words once you know how to spell and write better," Lotor wrote in his notebook to answer the homework questions.

"Once I know how to write Ill know how to spell right?" Lance didn't understand completely.

"Eventually yes," he nodded.

Lance wrote something down on a spare paper and held up with a smile. He spelt his name and Lotors name. And Alluras.

"I didn't teach you Alluras name," Lotor looked impressed. It was messy and uneven with some letters bigger than others but he spelt the third of their group without asking.

"I saw it on one of her folders," lance had a big smile on his face as he was proud of himself for impressing Lotor.

"So a few pages after are words, next to it is the image so it'll show you how that object is spelt," Lotor pointed ahead and lance flipped to another part of the childrens book.

"See it starts with food, there's apple, bread, strawberry, and carrot, it has the word above You just have to write it out it seems like," Lotor explained looking over at the paper.

Lance was determined though, he didn't hesitate to move forward and start copying the words above that told him what the items were. He knew it could help him as if he was in a store or needed to read signs. Even the basics would be helpful.

Maybe by tonight he could start reading books.

"Thanks for being so helpful lo, I couldn't have done it without you," lance smiled at him with a small giggle.

Lotor smiled gently nodding at him.

A few hours went by as lance was on another work book while Lotor went on a couch to read the book he needed to get through on whatver English class for literature.

"I don't understand what the significance of this book is for students, there's plenty of others that tell a better story for the same message," Lotor was bored of the book.

"This teacher probably never heard of Hemingway by his poor taste," he scoffed rolling his eyes.

"What's Hemingway?" Lance asked confused.

"An author, easy reading but with how idiotic this teacher is it might be to hard for him to even understand the white elephant," Lotor stuck out his tongue a little.

"Could you read the story outloud?" Lance asked with light in his eyes.

Lotor quirked a brow but started the book over and decided to read it from the beginning so Lance could understand it from the beginning. He listened to Lotor read the story as he worked. Only stopping him a few times to ask questions of what the meaning for something was due to not knowing much of the outside world including the normal every day activities so it was quite different to the two boys.

It was peaceful having a home. At least what felt like a real home. Out close to the forest and away from the city or town, it was quiet and they didn't have neighbors for miles. They quickly all learned how to ride bikes even if they knew how to work heavy weapons and how to load a gun within three seconds. They stole some bikes and learned to ride since they'd never get a car.

Lance perked up a little hearing something outside.

Lotor noticed his tension and set the book down to listen. 

Lance got up from the floor and snuck over to a window to look outside cautiously. It was just a helicopter flying across the sky, Lotor could see a news channel on the side of the helicopter and was able to breathe again.

"It's clear, calm down," Lotor set a hand on his shoulder.

"We're far from them right?" Lance gulped as he stayed at the window.

"Very far," he nodded.

"I don't want to go back to being an experiment, I don't like fighting," lance whispered gripping the windowsill looking outside.

"You won't, we're far away and won't ever go back," Lotor set his hand on top of lances head and moved him away.

Lance had a look in his eyes full of distress at the memories, being forced to fall asleep and wake up somewhere You have no idea with needles in your skin. A collar around your neck that stung.

Lance rubbed his neck a little remembering the metal around his neck.

"Come on, I think you need a break from studying," Lotor whispered squeezing his shoulder. Lance nodded leaning against him as they went to the kitchen together for a snack.

"Much better, shower is yours Lotor," Allura jumped down the stairs with her wings behind her as she wore an open back dress to walk in her house freely.

"I have ten minutes left to process," he waved her off looking in the fridge.

"So my friends-" "your friends?" lance looked at her wide eyes as Alluras smile dropped into an annoyed look for being interrupted.

"Yes my friends, we're hoping to come over tonight for a movie night," she sighed rolling her eyes and the boys didn't look thrilled again.

"Allura we can't get attached, any moment we could leave and they'll be wondering what happened and who knows what could get out in the world," Lotor turned to her with a glare.

"It's weirder if we don't make relationships, I want to have friends and I want to socialize," Allura whined a little leaning on the counter.

"Why do you get to be the only one that gets to go be normal? Lotor and I have been careful and training in case something happens," lance frowned crossing his arms.

"Your being reckless," he gulped.

"No I'm not," she huffed with a glare.

"Your not asking us, your telling us that your friends are coming over, why bother," Lotor scoffed. She always acted like she was in charge he shouldn't known.

Lance had his arms crossed to his body looking away from them. He hated fighting, especially when it was Lotor and Allura, he felt like he had to take sides with them.

"It's fine, we'll just stay upstairs," lance smiled.

"Well I mean I hoped you guys would stay with," Allura looked at him disappointed.

"They don't like me, I'll be in my room," Lotor walked off to go rise the dye out of his hair upstairs.

"You'll stay right?" She asked lance softly.

"I don't know lura, I don't really know how to act around them," Lance gulped a little.

"Same as you act with me, I promise they're nice," Allura pleaded.

"Okay... I guess I'll watch a movie with you guys," he smiled awkwardly to hide his anxiety. Lotor wasn't going to be there either so it was just him that was new to the group, he already regretted it.