XX

"Kind of an unfair fight don't you think man?"

Keith looked down at the two teens as lance coughed harshly holding his stomach and rolo had a hand over his mouth in pain.

"What the hell kogane?" Rolo groaned.

"What the hell rolo? Four against one? Pathetic," Keith scoffed and crouched down to lance raising a brow.

"Anything broken?" Keith asked.

"Don't think so," lance sat back on his knees trying to steady his breathing. "Lo is gonna kill me,"

"You can take a punch, let's go," he motioned back and lance pushed himself up before spitting blood on the ground and wiped his chin with the back of his hand.

"You attack me again, you'll end up in a hospital," lance looked back at rolo annoyed as rolo had blood across his teeth and a glare.

Keith and lance walked down the street as lance was busy trying to wipe blood off of his face while Keith was leading him away.

"You got your ass handed to you," Keith said finally to him after a while.

"I didn't want to fight," lance put pressure on the cut on his arm.

"You okay?" He asked stopping.

"Oh I'm perfectly fine, just didn't want to really hurt anyone, so I gave in," lance smiled brightly with the stupid innocence on his face. Keith frowned seeing how unfazed he was.

"I've been through worse, a few punches I'll survive," lance noticed his uncertainty.

"Worse? Did you get hit in the foster system too?" Keith turned to him worried.

"I.. I don't..." lances smile dropped and looked away. "I don't want to talk about the foster system,"

Keith could see he was uncomfortable and nodded softly.

"I know we don't really see each other as anything close to friends but I get some of the things you've been through, I got in fights a lot as a kid and I've dealt with shitty people so if you need someone to get through it with you, Shiro and I get it," Keith sighed being sentimental for a moment. He took pity when lance looked at him with a bloody face.

"Thanks," lance mumbled.

"You know it wasn't all bad though, I had a parental figure, he taught me the most," lance waved him off. "He took care of me and called me his son,"

"Where is he now?" Keith asked.

"I don't know, he just was gone," he pursed his lips looking down. His papa disappeared when he got really sick again and was never to be seen since.

"It's hard, yea," Keith tsked nodding.

"Yea... I'm just going to go home, can to tell Allura I felt sick?" Lance asked softly as he passed Keith.

"Yea, I'll let her know, get some ice on your face man," Keith waved him off as lance giggled nodding as he traveled alone up the road towards his home that was a few miles away.

-

Lance opened the door to his new home and closed it behind him but he leaned on the door inhaling deep shaky breath. Sliding down the door till he was on the ground with his knees against his chest.

What a day.

Tears filled lances eyes overwhelmed and just thinking about what happened. It sunk in. He was exhausted now and his body was in so much pain. He wasn't strong enough. He didn't know how to fight normal humans. They weren't trained like the soldiers were.