IX

"Do you think there's others like us?" Lance sat on a thick branch at he looked above the woods as Lotor sat on a lower branch with him.

Two sets of wings draping behind and past the branch as lance swung his legs in the empty air.

"I'm sure they've made other batches knowing what can make successes," Lotor nodded calmly, crossing his ankles.

"No, others that have escaped like us, that are free," lance sighed gazing ahead. Lotor looked up at him as the moon beamed down at lance as he seemed relaxed.

"We would never know, cause we're all so worried about what we are, we would never tell," lance continued and looked down at Lotor.

"I'm glad I have you and Allura, we're all we know we have, I'd be terrified if I thought I was alone out here," he told him softly as Lotor stared back.

"Do you... do you think we're better off like this though?" Lotor asked quietly.

"What do you mean?" Lance looked at him confused.

"This isn't living, and I'm all for fighting for my life but surviving just to stay alive isn't having a life outside of that place," Lotor explained to him. "It doesn't feel different to me..."

"I know I seem cold often but.. it's mostly because I feel numb inside, in my chest, in my head, it's numb, I don't feel alive," he whispered gripping his shirt and lance softened his gaze.

"I've never felt a spark or anything to feel alive, it's always been numb inside as long as I could remember, I hate it," Lotor frowned and lance crossed his ankles to stop his swing as he looked ahead again.

"Maybe because we haven't done anything to be alive," Lance smiled down at him brightly as Lotor had a calm face still.

"We've been in the labs our whole life, and been hiding since we've gotten out, your right, we've only survived, we should find our purpose," he sighed with the smile lingering on his lips.

"Where do you want to be in the future? Still hiding?" Lance snorted a little and Lotor thought for a moment.

"I don't like like humans," Lotor said.

"So nothing?" Lance raised a brown looking down at him from his branch.

"...I want to help children, I want to fix what I can never fix in myself," Lotor pursed his lips and lance hummed agreeing with it.

"That's nice, you can go to school and figure out how to get there," lance nodded happily.

"What about you? What's your future?" Lotor looked up at him tilting his head to the side.

"Anywhere you and Allura are, you guys are my world," Lance didn't even hesitate with loyalty in his eyes.

"But what about for you?"

Lance paused as he went to say something but nothing came out. He exhaled softly and stayed silent.

"I don't know..."

"I don't know what's all out there for me to do, I'm pretty helpless, not much to offer in society," Lance gulped a little.

"Once your able to read and write decently, I'll convince Allura to let you enroll in school," Lotor told him confidently as he didn't dare look up at him.

"Your smart lance, you just don't realize it yet," he shrugged a little and lance smiled with his lips pursed, hiding his chuckle.

"You think so?" Lance asked perking up.

"Yea, I think you have a lot to offer in the world," Lotor felt the slightest tug at the corner of his lips.

"Knock off the sarcasm, asshole," lance laughed louder now.

"No, I can see you being helpful to people, cause you won't take knowledge for granted," Lotor looked straight up where lance was and in his eyes was only truth. Lance felt his chest heat up as he could stop the smile on his face.

"What'd you'd think Allura would be?" Lance asked curiously.

"A hooker," Lotor smirked to himself.

"What's a hooker?"

———

Lotor walked out of class the next day as he saw Allura crowded by at least six boys as she was smiling sweetly but by the way she was clenching her fist at her side she was ready to knock one out. Knowing her she could with one hit.

"Lura, you ready to go?" He walked over with a stone cold glare at the boys, Allura smiled relieved at her brother like figure and skipped to him as Lotor didn't smile or hold any emotion in his face. But the bubbly girl hung onto her brothers arm.

"Bye bye lura," some boys cooed at her but Lotor snarled a little like an animal with both hands in his pocket.

"It's Allura, get it right, or keep my name out of your mouth," Allura smiled sweetly with a hint of death in her eyes.

"The twins might be a little violent like Keith," Pidge smiled from the side as she stood with shiro.

"More passive aggressive," Shiro snorted as the two came over.

"I'm heading home early, check on Lance, I have to help him with school," Lotor told Allura calmly but she was confused for a moment.

"It's English, not his strongest subject," he explained and she nodded slowly.

"Your actually going to teach him?" She asked surprised.

"It's better than letting him fall behind," Lotor looked away with a frown.

"I'm glad you two made up," Allura smiled brightly clapping a little.

"So when are you letting us meet your brother?" Hunk walked over to Shiro and Pidge with Keith behind.

"No," Lotor glared.

"Can't just hang at your place?" Pidge smirked a little.

"Our parents don't like people coming over," Allura laughed it off.

"But they're gone?" Keith raised a brow.

"They're very strict," Lotor looked at him.

"M.. maybe it would be nice to have people over?" Allura offered but Lotors glare darkened. Everyone was fearful of that look but Allura didn't see the problem.

"No," he said again.

"Lance could use the socializing," Allura whispered to him.

"I'm going home," Lotor turned away to head out.

"What's his problem?" Keith glared.

"He likes his privacy at home, like our parents," Allura sighed a little disappointed when Lotor walked out of the school back to their home.

"I thought him and Lance hated each other? Now they're buds?" Hunk tilted his head to the side curiously.

"Brothers? That's just how they are a lot?" Allura shrugged but smiled glad she was able to stay to be with people.