Chapter Eleven: Reality

A/N For people who want to know libellule is pronounced lee-beh-loo-luh or li-be-lyl. Whichever one you understand best..

“What?” I said hardly believing those words came out her mouth. They weren’t true, it was my mind and the high making things up.

“I’m pregnant and I’m homeless. I’ve been kicked out of the house and every single person I’ve been to has chucked me to the curb too,” she clarified taking another long drag on her joint.

I was stunned. It was like my whole being had dropped to the floor and fallen down a mind shaft the ground above collapsing on top of me.

“How many months?” I squeaked staring at her shiver at the question.

“I don’t know. Maybe two?” she replied uncertainly. Her voice wavered, something I hadn’t ever heard.

“Who’s the father?”

At that she shrugged. “I don’t know, I don’t care and there is no way I’m going to find out,”

“Are you keeping it?”

She paused and thought for a long moment before leaning her head back against the wall and closing her eyes. A single tear slipped down her cheek but I wasn’t even paying attention to her moment of weakness.

Anna Brooks was pregnant.

“No, adoption,” she finally muttered still with eyes closed and a look of defeat.

I wasn’t even registering the fact Anna and I were actually having a conversation without bickering, throttling or insulting each other.

“Who knows at school?” I carried on, thinking she would have pushed me away or spat at me by now but she didn’t. Instead, she answered again.

“Corey and now you. Zoe buggered off as soon as she found out. And George figured it out the same day you saw me throwing up,” she said, not looking at me but instead observing the people partying in the darkness, with slit eyes.

That’s why George said he needed a hug. That’s why he knew how to handle me and didn’t question why I reacted in such a way. He already knew.

His name brought so many complex emotions to me. Sparks of lust and attraction but safety and comfort. Now I couldn’t help but feel nervous about that silly little bet, agreement whatever it was and also angry for him tricking me in such a way.

Mostly I was just infuriated at myself for giving in.

“What are you going to do?” my voice was unsteady as I awaited the answering. If she was homeless for as long as the rumour had been going around then the maybe probably had no medical attention what so ever.

The baby?!

I still couldn’t believe what I was hearing. The words ran through my head one million times over and over like a broken record. I pressed my hands against my forehead partly to soothe the headache that was forming and partly to understand the disbelief.

It must be the weed. This couldn’t be true.

How could she be so careless? And how was she going to attend school pregnant whilst having no home?

“I have no idea. I’ve been sleeping in here for the past month,” she gestured over towards the abandoned village hall which was dark due to the electricity not being turned on for ten years.