Chapter Twenty-Two: Unmasked

A/N SERIOUS NOTE: I've been editing my first chapters because there were some major plot and character issues. So the main one that people who have always reached this stage should know that George has a new surname. He's now called George Lassalle. Also, the main characters (Cassie and her friends) are all 17-18 and senior sixth formers not juniors. ALSO opinions on the cover design attached?

I woke up next morning spooned from behind and a steady warm breath blowing against my nape. Ah. This felt nice. I snuggled against the body, ignoring the pounding in my head that could only be so severe from either drinking too much or crying too much.

Crying.

Last night.

Șhit.

Abruptly, I bolted up but just as soon as my head left the pillow it was gently pushed back down again, the strong arm around my waist tightening.

"Morning." George breathed in my ear. Shivers ran up my arms and a sudden reality dawned upon me.

I told George I wanted us to be together yesterday. He said he wanted to too. I was going out with George. He was my... boyfriend.

Panic set in, burning through my chest. My breathing sped up, and until the arm around my waist loosened its grip I thought I was about to hyperventilate again.

I swallowed, loudly and thick from sobbing my eyes out last night. I can't believe I told George everything. I'd never spoken a word about that night to anyone - not anyone - and now he knew. George knew.

I didn't answer, I stayed quiet and stiffly poised.

After a few quiet minutes of me thinking and rethinking about every word I'd told George yesterday, I concluded that there was nothing more to tell.

The trick. The house. The rape. The gang-rape. The whorehouse. The beatings. The broken bones. The drug overdose revival. The arrest. The date rape drug. The slut. The smoking. The parties. The binge drinking. The nightmares. Josh.

I wanted to sob again just thinking about what he did.

As if sensing my terror George arm tightened again around my middle and I felt his other hand push away my hair behind my shoulder so he could rest his chin there.

"Shh..." He cooed, running his hands over my hair and letting his breath blow down my back. I glued my eyelids down tightly blocking out the hallucinations I was experiencing about what happened with Josh. "Shh, it's okay. You're okay. You're safe with me, I promise."

Struggling to breath I concentrated on the oxygen following through my nose and the steady heartbeat against my back. I let out a strangled whimper and tried to stop hyperventilating or possibly fainting.

"What are you thinking about?" George asked quietly.

"Last night." I replied, in a croaky voice. I should never cry that much again.

He moved away a little then rolled me off my side and onto my back so I could actually look at him, throwing his arm across my chest.

In the morning he looked even more attractive than when he was dressed up. All tousled brown hair and lazy expression. Maybe it was because he looked more natural, layed back and cosy. I liked cosy.

"Do you remember everything?" He asked, his chin still resting on my shoulder and the back of his hand running over my cheeks.

I turned to look at him, locking with his royal blue eyes that were clouded with sleep.

"Yes."

"Do you regret telling me what happened to you?"

I took a moment to think that through. "No."