Chapter Thirty: Noodles and Chopsticks

March - Seven months into Anna Brooks' pregnancy.

The house was empty. The house was desolate, which was odd because I assumed than when two people went on a date there was meant to be two people. Not one. Me.

Today was the day that George promised me a date. Well, I never really wanted to go on a date in the first place so he said it'd be a home date, nothing too fancy or cliché. However, I couldn't imagine that happening anytime soon since he wasn't actually here.

Thankfully, I knew where the spare key was hidden so I could get in the house by myself as instructed by George himself. All he said was 'let yourself in'. That was it. Three words that left me clueless to what our date was going to be like. I wasn't nervous, but I still was curious as to what we were doing. You can't blame a girl for being curious.

I plucked the key out from the soil in the plant pot outside the front door and twisted the lock until I heard the satisfying click that let me inside.

The first thing I noticed was that it was pitch black. Completely and utterly submerged in a darkness that almost mirrored the night sky. Stepping through the door frame I felt a bumpy softness under my feet and used my phone as a torch to see what it was I'd just stepped on.

Roses. Rose petals scattered on the floor leading up towards the staircase. Was I meant to follow them? Probably. Deciding to leave the lights off since it was probably done on purpose, I carefully walked beside the path of crimson, waxy petals until I reached the staircase, and then continued up them.

Of course the rose trail lead to George's room. The door was swung open halfway and so I could see the glow of light coming from inside. My stomach was full of those cliché butterflies and I was incredibly excited. I never thought I'd see the day where I was thrilled to be going on a date, even if it was one at home, with a boy. But I guess with George it's different.

I opened the door, and my eyes instantly widened at the room. Everywhere were tiny little tea light candles dotted around the room, and a picnic blanket on the floor laden with food and even more candles. Right in the centre of the indoor picnic scene was a bouquet of more of the same blood red roses.

I didn't know what to do next. Taking steady steps, I strolled over to the large bed and sat down not initially noticing the package with a note taped to it on the bed.

Put this on and I'll be there in ten with food. George ❤️

Food? Wasn't it already here?

Underneath the note was a small wrapped package that when I picked up was soft to the touch. When I peeled back the wrapping paper, a cotton t-shirt fell in my lap. And it was huge. It could pass as a dress.

It was plain dark blue with a v-neckline and three quarter length sleeves. However, when I flipped the t-shirt around an intricate cut-out pattern was revealed. It kind of looked like an insect. A butterfly? A beetle of some sort?

Deciding I might be able to see it better when put on, I quickly stripped out of my jeans and t-shirt and pulled on George's one. I went over to the mirror turned around and worked out that it wasn't a butterfly or a beetle, but a dragonfly.

A dragonfly.

Why a dragonfly? I'd ask him later.

George

When I opened the door to my house and saw that a few of the roses I left were crushed like someone had walked on them, I knew she'd arrived. I followed the trail of flowers, just like she would have done.

I really hoped Cassie would like this date. I didn't want to do too much, I knew she didn't like being made a fuss of, but I wanted just a nice evening with her. To celebrate us.