Chapter Thirty-Five: Oui Oui

A/N: This chapter switches between the present and the time after Anna gave birth. It should be easy to figure out, but I thought I should let you know beforehand. The past is in italics as usual.

Mid July

"Did you remember your swimming costume? We haven't got a pool but if you want to sunbathe you can. The weather should be good."

"I've packed a bikini." I told George who was finalising everything and packing the car before we left for France. "I can't wait to see the sun."

"Yeah, England has been a bit miserable this summer. It's no surprise of course." He agreed and I laughed meekly.

You would assume that because the girl who was my worst enemy for the majority of my teenage hood was out of my life for good that I would be smiling giddy and singing with unicorns at her departure but no. The most bizarre thing had happened and I withdrew into myself and retreated back to my reserved self.

"What do you mean? What do you mean she's gone? An hour ago? Shit." I spoke in hysterical, sharp mutters.

"Cassie, baby, it's alright." George cajoled but I pushed his arm aside and sat on the ward bed, frustrated, tense, my hand buried in the front of my hair. "The doctor said she was allowed to leave. She's probably at your house."

I released an agitated cry. "No George, don't you see? She's gone."

I looked around in a daze, barely fixing my eyes on one thing for a spare second. Bewilderment, passed over me in large waves until I was drowning in confusion and shock and the complete uncertainty as to why this affected me so.

Two hands cupped my knees and crouched in front of me.

"Baby, it's what she said. It's what she promised. Anna didn't want to stay. She didn't want to keep the baby. As soon as her daughter was born she promised you, your mum, she promised everyone that she'd disappear and never come back. But that's okay, because it's what she wanted."

School was over for good. Well, until University anyway. I'd visited a few and applied to the ones I thought were good. All those I applied to sent me a letter back with a big 'Well done you've been accepted' on the first line, but I didn't plan to attend any.

I was too lost in my mind and decisions to even think about study.

"How much time do we have until we have to leave?" I asked him and walked over to where he stood to wrap my arms around his torso and drink in the warmth he emitted.

"We have enough time, don't worry. There's really no rush, we were up early and I checked online - the traffic is good." He replied whilst banding his strong arms around my shoulders and resting his head against the top of mine. "You feeling okay?"

"You feeling okay?" He asked and leaned forwards so he could place his arms around my waist but I sprung out of his reach before he could even attempt to comfort me.

No. No I wasn't feeling okay. But, I was meant to be feeling okay. I was meant to be fine. Then why was I so adamant to follow this thought inside my chest that was tugging me towards the exit door?

"I have to find her." I whispered and then ran down the halls.

My feet pelted and clattered against the sterile, plastic floor boards, earning me several odd looks but I hardly payed attention.

"Cassie!" I heard someone call behind me. It was surprising that I'd even heard it at all. My ears were popping and dizziness swarmed my vision as I sprinted down those corridors.