Chapter Fourteen: Appointment

A/N For you people who live in England and are thinking – “wait they’re 16, how can they drive?” the answer is I have no idea, haha. Apparently they are all driving illegally one or two years early yet still have licenses... I don’t know, just go with it.

Jenny’s face was a blank mask, her lips sewn into a tight frown and her gaze lost in the ground as if she looked down long enough she could dig down and bury herself under the concrete.

Over the past few days she’d been looking even worse than usual. Grease was slick against her shedding scalp, a mutation of spots growing on the edges of her forehead and her pale grey eyes lack of emotion.

Nothing. There was nothing there and it was beginning to concern me more than ever.

“Jen?” I called softly. We were all sat out in our spot and lunch had started five minutes ago. I wasn’t too sure where everyone was. Leo and Ruby and Quinn and Calvin were hidden around the ‘lover’s corner’ and everyone else was either intending lunchtime clubs or somewhere unknown.

She didn’t respond. Flinching slightly at the noise of my voice her head tilted away from me even more.

“Jenny? Talk to me, I know something is wrong,” I spoke again in a whisper as if anything louder would frighten her. Placing my hand gently on her shoulder to coax her around to look at me, she shuddered violently at the contact.

“Please don’t touch me. I’m sorry it’s just, I’m filthy,” she said in a small voice still avoiding my eyes.

It was true but she had reason too. Jenny never washed or showered at home when her dad was around because it made her feel uncomfortable and an incident in the past involving her, a shower and her dad’s dirty hands left her traumatized.

I could tell there was something more to the word ‘filthy’ this time she told me, something bad had happened and I knew she was suffering all alone.

“Do you want to come over tonight? You can have a nice bath and I can wash your hair for you?” I suggested, taking her hand and lacing our fingers together.

With the things she was going through she needed all the support she could get and I would always be there for her.

It took Jenny a while to reply but when she agreed reluctantly a sense of accomplishment washed over me. I was the listener of the group, the one everyone told their problems to and asked for advice and I loved that because it made me feel helpful and good.

I was going to try and give all the comfort and care for Jenny that I had.

*

I walked into History and saw the tables had been rearranged and there was a new seating plan on the board.

Corey. Thank God.

He was already sat down and waiting for me to take my place beside him when I sat down and shot him a smile.

“Hi, how are you?” he asked when I’d taken my books for the lesson out of my bag and settled myself down.

“I’m great thanks, what about you?” I responded in a cheery tone.

“I’m alright, I guess. How’s Anna?”

Anna. The name stirred up so many emotions for me.

Loathing. Rage. Disgust. Frustration. Fear.

Pity?

No I would never pity a monstrous bitch like Anna.

“Um, well pregnant,” I said in a whisper so no one would overhear. I may hate her but I wasn’t a gossip. “She has a doctor’s appointment on Friday can you take her? I went to the pharmacist and bought some nausea pills and stuff, but apparently she also has oesophagus tears which isn’t good and she needs to get the baby checked out,” I informed in a taunt tone.