Chapter Nineteen: Forgiving

“Are we still on for tonight?” George asked, still trying to lock eyes with me but I refused to acknowledge his persistence. I acted – like I had for the rest of the week since his kissed me – like he was nothing more than any other student at my school.

“Yeah.” I said clearly but still avoiding looking at him. “I guess.”

He sighed, I guessed partly from defeat and partly from acceptance of his punishment.

“You’re going to have to talk to me about it sometime, Cassie.” He said. I looked at up at him, those dark blues still captivating me even when I wished they wouldn’t.

“There’s nothing to talk about.” I finalised, crossing my arms over my chest, my foot tapping nervously against the hall wall.

“I’ve never heard such bullșhit, Cassie.” He smirked, crossing his own arms over his chest in mock. I raised an eyebrow challengingly as if he could enlighten me with a reason why.

“I know you felt something. I know you did because otherwise you wouldn’t have ran away. You wouldn’t have cried.” He explained, moving closer towards me so my back hit the wall. I realised that people would be walking down the halls to the canteen to buy lunch or most likely in the hall to eat since it was raining outside and see us like this.

The only reason George found me here was because my English teacher asked some specific people to come back at lunch for work placement information and George happened to be one of those people.

“It was late.” I said, not believing my own alibi. “I was tired and you were just confusing my emotions and whatever…”

He shook his head, the chocolate brown strands of hair in a tousled style and his eyes gleaming with mischief. I still couldn’t get over how handsome he was.

“I still don’t believe you.” He continued. I hadn’t felt threatened by his presence until he moved even closer to me uncrossed his arms and placed them on either side of my head. He leaned his weight on his hands and I sensed his playful intentions by the relaxed, smug stance he usually never held.

“I promised myself I wouldn’t kiss you again, Cassie. I want to – very badly – but after your reaction last week I knew better than to give in to my desires.” His voice had dropped an octave, his head nearing closer. “However, if you really are denying your reaction, denying your feelings, I may just have to remind you how you feel.”

I backed away but quickly realised I was already against the wall, already as far from him as I could possibly get.

I wanted to be near him, I did, my mind, my heart and my body knew it but I had to be strong. I couldn’t be played.

He’s not playing you. He wouldn’t do that he’s just trying to help you. He just ‘likes’ you.

Even my inner slut was telling me things I didn’t want to believe or hear.

“George, please.” I coughed, clearing my throat.

As if sensing my discomfort he leaned away but there was no trace of regret on his features. For one moment my heart fluttered at the way that if ever I felt uncomfortable he always backed off.

“I’ll see you tonight, Libellule.”

Pushing off the wall and slowly walking away I watched as he tilted his head around and gave me one final look. A gasp escaped my lips as he winked, blew me a kiss, smirking as he turned around again and became lost to the crowd of school kids.

I was aware that I was backed against the wall like I was stunned but I shrugged off the stares. People like to gossip but no one really cares.

*