Chapter Twelve: Birthdays and Bonfires

A knock on my door the next morning awoke me from my dreamless slumber. My rested legs quickly walked over to the door to find Anna behind it.

“Can I use the shower?” she asked tautly, the bags under her eyes showing she had a rough night.

I pointed to my ensuite door. “It’s the one in the middle,”

Anna scurried over as I passed her a t-shirt and leggings that I’d found yesterday for her to wear. She nodded, which I guess meant ‘thanks’.

As the shower ran I pulled out some jeans and a loose fitted top from my closet and dressed. Today, I’d decided to go food shopping since we were running low on necessities.

Harry would probably come as well as he was the cook in the house. He loved to look at what was new and sounded exciting to cook and would always complain when I went without him because I’d get the wrong things.

Abi had dancing today so I could easily drop her off before Harry and I went to the supermarket, so Anna would be left on her own for a few hours. To be honest, I wasn’t sure what she was going to do with that time but I decided it wasn’t my problem as long as she didn’t trash the house.

I had decided I wasn’t going to think too much about Anna being in my house or being pregnant because it wouldn’t help with my nightmare problem. My mind imagined her as a stranger.

That made things a whole lot easier.

The water cut off and soon after Anna emerged with dripping wet hair and clean clothes. She didn’t look at me the whole time she walked back towards the door of my room.

“I’m going shopping. Is there anything you need? Medicine or food?” I asked before she left. Her dull green eyes met mine and all I saw in them was a blank gaze. It was as if she wasn’t even there.

“I don’t think so,” she replied but I shook my head.

I didn’t know much about being pregnant – obviously – but I knew enough to know that vomiting blood was a good sign.

“Have you been to the doctors?” I asked stiffly, worried to might sound like I care when I really don’t. I hoped when we got to school things would go back to normal and we’d argue again.

Bickering with Anna would be better than this weird, emotionless arrangement.

“No,”

“I’ll take you. Book an appointment,” I stated. I may hate this girl but if I didn’t take her for a check-up no one would and that would not be good for the baby.

Baby…

She nodded and carefully left my room.

I plodded downstairs taking in the early morning light that was streaming through the blinds. I welcomed the golden glow which was a nice change to the cold, dreary British weather.

I reminded myself that not only was it my birthday soon, but it was also the twins. It was funny how my Mum gave birth to all three of her kids in November. I thought about what to buy them each as I munched on some granola and snacked on dried currants.

Shortly, Abi and Harry both joined me for breakfast, Abi wearing her dance sweats, her hair tied back in a sleek ponytail and Harry dressed in a fashionable outfit.

“Write a list of the food we need, H. You and I are going shopping,” I instructed passing him a pen and paper whilst he drank some orange juice.

“Okay, well what do you guys want to eat for dinner this week?” he questioned.

“Pizza,”

“Spaghetti carbonara,”