prologue

< December 2015 >

< December 2015 >

Griddy's Donuts was particularly busy that night, people were flooding in to the diner to escape the rain which was beating down outside. Agnes, the owner, was more than happy to see her diner full as it wasn't a regular occurrence and she enjoyed the company of the customers more than she wanted to admit. She brushed down her bright pink diner outfit and fixed the flimsy hat that lay on her slightly greying hair, it was her idea for this uniform and as much as she liked the way that her staff looked; she couldn't help but think that the bright pink was somewhat of an overkill. Every time a new customer entered the diner, the bell on top of the door rang and someone rushed forward to take them to their table. Most were families, in the middle of a road trip who were starving and found this as the nearest place to eat. It was worthwhile when seeing the kids' faces light up as they look in the large display of donuts that were arranged behind the counter, their parents bored of the trip and wanting them to pick quickly so that they could get home.

In the corner booths were the couples, lovesick and basically humping each other in public. Their donuts long forgotten as they groped each other where they thought no one was watching them, but the CCTV cameras were catching everything and felt more like a porn channel than a security one. On a night like this, coffee was a must and as the kids chose exactly what donut they wanted to try, the parents were calling for more coffee than normal as they were preparing for the sugar rush that would inevitably be coming their way. The whole place was buzzing, with 50's and 60's music blasting from the speakers and the waitresses basically skipping through the diner, smiles plastered on their faces as they maintained the look that Agnes wanted them desperately to portray.

For Kate it was another day at work and there was nothing special about this random December night. She had washed her hair before coming in for her shift but thanks to the endless hours in the kitchen, she could smell the grease and batter as she moved around the diner and knew that it would take several showers to get the smell out. Her uniform was slightly crinkled, she had told Agnes that she had forgotten to iron it before she left which wasn't a lie but it also wasn't helped by the impromptu make-out session that she had with one of the customers earlier that day. He had been part of a motorcycle gang, ordered a bunch of donuts and he was decked out in leather; she couldn't help it, she had a thing for guys in leather. She checked her wristwatch, a present from her sister when she first got her job at the diner, and counted down how long she had until her shift was finished. There were still four hours before the place would close and she didn't know if she could last much longer, with the screaming kids or the horny teenagers. This whole diner was a nightmare on this particular evening.

Then, it was as if the heavens had actually listened to her and brought her the exact thing that she needed on a night like this. The door opened, and the familiar bell rang throughout the diner but this customer wasn't a family with over-hyper kids and it wasn't a young couple on their first date; this customer was mysterious and exactly what Kate needed as a distraction. He kept his face down as he walked through the diner, thunder and lightning clapping in the distance which just made his appearance even more inviting; the whole place stopped to watch this mysterious figure make his way through the room. Everyone wondering who he was and what he was doing at the donut shop. His boots hit the tiled floor loudly, showing his dominance in this situation, he knew the whole room was staring at him and he enjoyed the attention. Even the waitresses had stopped mid-pour of their coffee jugs to take a look at this new customer, someone that they didn't recognise.