1.

< November 15th 1963 >

It was just another day of work for Kate as she slaved away in the kitchen. She was happy that she was able to get a job because for a woman in the sixties, there weren't many options, especially because of her skin tone. As much as she hated being hidden away and her work being complimented to the wrong person, she needed the money otherwise she wouldn't be able to live in this world. The sixties were an interesting place, the clothes were unique and the hairstyles were different; she tried her best to fit in but there was always a part of her that wondered where the others were. Allison had been very clear that she didn't want to leave this time, that she was happy here and she had moved on from her siblings but Kate couldn't, she hoped that they were all safe.

Little did she know that someone from her future was going to walk straight into the diner that she worked at, looking for her. Five wiped down his blazer as he pulled open the door and entered the rather crowded diner. There were people at booths, tucking into the baked goods and rows of people at the counter, waiting for their chance to try the famous foods. The owner was more than proud of his diner, taking pride in the compliments that he received and moved around the room with a confident stride. Five slipped into the last empty space at the counter and placed his elbows on the counter, waiting to be served.

It didn't take long for the man to stop in front of him, holding a notepad and smiling widely. "What can I get for you, young man?"

"What's the special today?"

"Classic cinnamon rolls, Chefs own recipe."

"I'll take a dozen." He sends a slightly terrifying smile to the man, watching as he dashed into the kitchen to grab a plate of the cinnamon rolls. It wasn't long before the plate was placed in front of him, Five tucked in and as soon as he placed the first into his mouth; he groaned in delight. Not only was the food delicious but he knew exactly who had cooked them. "Excuse me, is there any chance I could talk to the chef? I want to give my praise in person."

The man looked uncomfortable with the young boy's questions as he answered, rubbing the back of his neck. "Unfortunately, chef doesn't leave the kitchen. He's a very private person, doesn't like to be disturbed."

"No problem, I'll just head back there myself." Five shrugged as he slid off the stool and the waiter didn't seem to understand what was happening as the boy clicked his fingers and disappeared into thin air.

He had never seen anything like it before and part of him wondered if he had just imagined the boy in the diner as none of the other customers looked worried, he ran a hand over his face and shook his head. "What?"

Five was more than satisfied to see the person that he had been looking for hovering over the oven. He clapped his hands together and cheered. "I knew it!"

"Jesus Christ!" Kate squeaked, not ready for someone to interrupt her in the kitchen as she was hardly ever disturbed. It took her a moment to get her breath back, her hand placed over her chest to calm down her heart rate before her eyes widened and she recognised the boy that stood in her kitchen. "Wait, Five? Is it really you?"

"In the flesh."

"How did you find me?"

"Come on, I'd know these baked goods anywhere." He grinned, picking up a donut from the nearest plate and taking a large bite out of it, he spoke with the crumbs falling out of his mouth. "You're forgetting how many things you baked for us back in 2019, they're exceptional and I don't hand out compliments very often."

"Well, thanks." She said quietly, taking her newest bake out of the oven before it burned as she wasn't watching it as closely as usual. "It's not often that I get compliments."