4.

< March 26th 2019 >

After a long night which involved very little sleep, the couple get awoken by the radio that Diego had purchased, tuning it so that it picked up the signals from the police force and allowed him to know everything that was happening around the city. Kate had never been happy with the radio as she knew that it was illegal and Dora would hate to know about it but she also knew that it kept Diego busy and helping out was something that he really loved. She wouldn't take that away from him. However, she was really not happy with another early wake up call from a technological device and as soon as she heard the static of the radio, wanted nothing more than to throw it across the room so that they would never hear it again. Diego jumped up from his sleeping position, his arms still around Kate but his eyes were focused on the radio that was perched on the table and he was listening intently to the message that was being broadcasted. It made sense to him as he had learned the codes at the academy but Kate didn't really follow what was being said; not only did she not understand the codes but she had just woken up and was more tired than when she was woken by Dora's phone call the night before.

"What does that mean?" She huffed, attempting to roll over and go back to sleep but Diego was climbing over her to get out of bed.

He rushed over to his pile of clothes that had been dumped last night and quickly put them back on, not caring that he was wearing the same thing as yesterday because there was no time for an outfit change. "There was an attack at the department store."

"Shit, another attack?" Kate questioned, sitting up in bed and leaning back on the headboard as she watched her boyfriend grabbing his belt of knives and preparing to head straight to the scene of the crime.

"It can't be a coincidence; they have to be linked. Shit, I forgot I promised to take you to work."

"Don't worry about it." Kate said, gently putting a hand on his arm to calm him down and it seemed to work because as soon as he felt her touch, his muscles relaxed slightly. "I can walk today; I need the exercise."

Diego stifled a laugh under his breath. "You seemed fine last night."

Gasping at his inappropriate comment, she slapped his arm from where she was sitting in the bed and rolled her eyes. "You better not say anything like that to Dora, she'll be there, guaranteed she's already on the case."

"I promise I won't mention any of our late-night activities to your sister – unless they happen to come up in conversation."

Kate smacked his arm again, making him laugh. "When would they ever come up in conversation?"

"You never know. Look, I'll pick you up after work to make up for it, okay?"

"Okay." She smiled as he leaned down and pressed a chaste kiss to her lips, obviously he was desperate to get out of the boxing club and head to the crime scene so she wasn't going to hold him back but she worried when he got involved with stuff like this. She knew that he could take care of himself but if the police ever got involved then he wouldn't have a chance, Dora was right, he could get in a lot of trouble if he kept messing with crime scenes. "Just be careful, please."

"I'm always careful." He replied over his shoulder as he left the boiler room, leaving Kate to wonder about what her boyfriend would be getting up to while she was working.

Even though the attack on the diner had only happened two nights before, Agnes was quick to reopen once the place had a thorough clean. The dead bodies had been removed and the cleaners had made good work of the blood splattered all over the room. No one would know that it had been the site of a mass murder, apart from everyone who had read about it in the newspaper. Kate felt uncomfortable as she made her way through the diner, watching people at booths who seemed unaware of the tragedy that took place only days ago. But she respected Agnes and the decision to re-open, so she didn't say anything about the diner. She just headed to the back room, put down her belongings and got ready for her shift; baking some of the donuts for a fresh display and making sure they had enough ingredients for the new flavours that they'd brainstormed together.