3.

< March 25th 2019 >

The last thing that Kate was expecting when she went home that night was to be woken up in the early hours of the morning by her sister. She was exhausted after the day that she had, going to the Umbrella Academy, attending a funeral for someone that she had never met and meeting her boyfriend's entire family. It was a lot to take in and even though she was incredibly grateful to have been given the opportunity to meet his siblings, his mom and Pogo; she still wanted a night of relaxing at home to let everything sink in. Being woken up in the middle of the night was not part of her plan, the worst part about being woken up without expecting it, was knowing that she wouldn't get enough sleep and she had a long day of work ahead of her. Kate had been so engrossed in her own head, sleeping the memories of the day off that she didn't even realise Dora had been called for an emergency; which made her feel like a bad sister.

They were used to Dora being called in for emergencies all over the place, as the police force didn't have many good detectives and needed her whenever a case was started. Of course, she had her right-hand man Beaman but he wasn't qualified to take on a case on his own and that was why Dora was always called in. She had been called in on her birthday, on Christmas, even when they had taken a weekend vacation in another state but work was the most important thing to Dora and whenever she got the call, her first priority was to get there as fast as possible. Not caring about who else was with her or what plans they had made. Obviously, Kate was very proud of her sisters' achievements and knew that their parents would also be proud of their daughter but that didn't mean that she would let slide the 2am wake up call.

"What do you want?" Kate asked grumpily, not even opening her eyes as she had felt around the bedside table for her phone and answered in a moody voice.

Dora didn't seem to care about the fact that she was calling in the middle of the night, because whenever there was an interesting case to work, she would always include her sister. It may not be appropriate to tell someone the inner workings of the force but she could trust her sister and was more than excited to tell her about what this emergency was all about. "Same gun on every perp, all M4s and all the casings are the same, you know what that means?"

"The idiots all shot each other?" She mumbled, not really thinking straight but understanding what that evidence meant because this wasn't the first time that she had heard about a crime scene. If she had been fully awake and not woken up in the middle of the night then maybe she would have had the energy to be really interested in this case but she was tired and just wanted to go back to sleep.

"Exactly."

"So, is that why you're calling me in the middle of the night? Because I've had a long day and I really want to get some rest-"

"No, I'm calling to let you know that I have your boyfriend in custody." Dora said, smirking on the other end of the phone as she looked over her shoulder and waved cruelly to Diego, who was slumped in the back of a police car; looking less than happy about this situation and knowing exactly who she was on the phone to. Dora hated when he messed around with police work but loved the fact that she had the power to not only put him in the back of a police car but to also tell-tale to her sister; who would not be happy with this news.

"What, why?" This news was enough to make Kate wake up as she sat upright in bed and rubbed her eyes with the palm of her hands; trying to figure out what Diego could have done which would put him in custody. "He didn't do anything wrong; I've been with him all day."

"You're not with him right now though, are you?" She paused before rolling her eyes at the dramatics of the situation. "Relax, I'm not framing him for murder; he was interviewing my witnesses again. Last time he messed with a crime scene it was a warning, now I have to take action."