15.

< November 23rd 1963 >

It seemed that the farm was finally calm and everyone could relax because the Handler was dead, Harlan didn't have superpowers anymore and Herb was in charge of the commission. Five was working on getting them back home as he chose a briefcase to help them travel, whilst the others were finishing off whatever loose ends that they had in the sixties. Vanya was saying goodbye to Sissy and Harlan, Klaus was talking to Allison and Luther about Ben and Diego was walking around the farm with Kate. They were both deep in thought, thinking about what they had been through and what was going to happen when they got back to their usual timeline. Kate knew that when they returned, it would probably be her responsibility to sort Eudora's funeral and work out how to convince the police that Diego was not the murderer. Their lives were still very complicated but they had moved through several steps in their relationship – the only good thing that had come from the end of the world.

"I'm going to miss this." Kate broke the silence, swinging their hands that were intertwined as they walked together in the fields. She liked having some alone time with him and spending it in the countryside was something that she had never imagined, so she was enjoying it.

"The farm?" He raised an eyebrow, not understanding why she would like the place so much. It had caused so many problems for them and only hours before, they had all almost died there. "We've only been here a few hours-"

"No, I mean Dallas, in the sixties. Even though it was hard, it was interesting and I've enjoyed being here."

"You've enjoyed segregation and me being locked up in a mental hospital?" Diego scoffed at her, knowing that she obviously didn't mean that but he liked to tease her.

"Okay, enjoyed is the wrong word." She backtracked, trying to think of the right thing to say to defend herself. "But it's something I'll never forget, it'll be a good story for the kids, you know."

"Kids?" Diego repeated, his eyes widening slightly and his mouth going dry as he hadn't expected their conversation to take this turn.

The couple had never spoken about having children. In terms of their relationship, they weren't very good at taking serious steps and it wasn't that long ago that they had said 'I love you' for the first time. The fact that they were now stressing about the idea of having children spoke volumes and Kate immediately thought that she had done something wrong. She had always seen Diego as the type of guy who never wanted to settle down because that wasn't the kind of life that he wanted; he was very fast paced and made decisions on a limb rather than really thinking about it. Kids would never fit into his lifestyle and she had decided that she didn't mind – as long as she still had him then she wouldn't care what their family looked like. Even if it was just them and a goldfish.

"Shit! No, I didn't say that, I didn't mean to say that. Kids? What? No, shit!"

Diego could tell that she was freaking out and stopped them from walking any further, standing in front of her to block her path and grabbing her hands to stop them from flaring all over the place. "Woah, Katy, calm down. Don't go all crazy on me now."

She squeezed her eyes shut, feeling so stupid for even making a fleeting comment. "I'm sorry, I know that we haven't talked about kids or anything like that, I didn't want to freak you out-"

"Freak me out?" He shook his head before leaning closer to her so that she would look into his eyes. He wanted her complete attention whilst they had this conversation and decided it was time to be completely honest with her because he had been having the same thoughts. "Babe, I'm so happy that you want to have that life with me."

"Really?"

"Of course, I am, and not going to lie, I've thought about our future too. It may not be perfect but I have some ideas of what I want."