11.

< March 30th 2019 >

Even though Allison had promised to wake Kate up when they arrived at the cabin, she felt sorry for her and noticed how exhausted she must be. There were dark circles under her eyes and her hair was tattered, she looked as though she hadn't slept properly in a while and that was probably due to having the weight of the world on her shoulders. Kate had been through a lot recently, not only was she involved with a family who had superpowers but she was also grieving the death of her sister and the possibility that the world was ending in a few days. So, when they arrived at the cabin, instead of waking the girl up to do some investigating, Allison left her to sleep in the car. She didn't take long to snoop around the cabin and find it empty, and when she returned to the car, Kate had just woken up as she was stretching in the front seat. "Anything interesting?"

"No one was inside." She explained, jumping back into the car and preparing for their next journey. "But I'm sure they'll be back at some point; we can come back later."

Kate tried to think of what the couple could be doing on their romantic getaway and even though she had never been away to a cabin in the woods, pictured what she would want to be doing. "Okay, should we check out some of the local spots? Maybe they went sightseeing?"

"Good idea, plus I'm starving, we should grab something to eat." Allison admitted, holding her stomach as it rumbled loudly; reminding them that they hadn't eaten in a long time.

"I thought you'd say that, so I brought snacks just in case we can't find a diner." Kate smirked, reaching behind them and into the back seats where there were several containers of different baked goods that she had packed in case of an emergency. Diego had no idea that there were hidden containers in his car but she knew this week would be chaotic and the family wouldn't have much time to sit down and eat, so she baked whenever she had free time and now had several things ready to be eaten.

As soon as she saw the containers, Allison's mouth watered. "You brought snacks?"

"Well, knives are kind of Diego's thing so I decided snacks would be my thing. Dora would say that I could open up my own bakery one day, she really thought I was that good."

"Wait, did you bake the donuts that were left at the academy?"

"Yep, made the batch myself that morning so that they'd be perfect." Kate nodded, happy that her work had been recognised by someone because Diego never appreciated her baking, talking about his body being a temple and how he would never eat something as unhealthy as her donuts.

Allison had managed to find the donuts that had been thrown across the room in the middle of the attack, not knowing where they had come from but tasting them and loved them. "They were incredible, you'll have to make some for Claire. You'd definitely be her favourite if you baked her cookies every time you visited."

"I'll take that offer; I've always wanted to be an Aunty Katy." She grinned, happy to be bonding with another member of the family even though she had only known Allison for a week but feeling as though they had known each other for a long time because they had so much in common.

After snacking at the cabin, they decided to take the opportunity to see some tourist spots whilst waiting for Harold Jenkins to return home with Vanya but as soon as they made it onto the road; they were stuck in a queue. This was unusual because the town was very dense and there was hardly anyone around, so they didn't understand where this queue had come from. Deciding to check it out, they jumped out of the car and walked past the other parked cars in the middle of the road, then Allison sprinted over to a sign where there was a striped scarf hung up. Kate looked at the diner which they were now stood in front of and weirdly there were police cars everywhere, with yellow tape that marked off some kind of crime scene. "It's Vanya's scarf." Allison explained, carrying the scarf over to Kate, who was watching the police conducting their investigation.