Chapter 1, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

And, by small price, I mean, being put in the stocks and having rotten fruit and vegetables thrown at him all day.

I walk down the path with Jasmine and Gwen, a red cape thrown over her shoulders, a purple one over Jasmine's. Merlin turns his head as we approach. "Hello Merlin," I greet. He manages to wave, though it was difficult with the stocks. "Merlin, this is Guinevere, or Gwen, she is the Lady Morgana's maid, and this is Jasmine, Jas for short; she's my maid."

"Right. I'm Merlin. Although, Astrid already knows that," Merlin says as he twists his hand to shake ours. "But most people call me idiot."

"No, no, no! I saw what you did. You're so brave," Gwen says, and Jasmine and I nod in agreement. I'd told her about it yesterday.

"It was stupid," Merlin says.

"I don't think so," I say, smiling slightly.

Merlin grins as Gwen says, "Well, I'm glad he walked away. You weren't going to beat him."

"Well, I like to think otherwise," I say.

"I like anyone who can take a shot at Arthur," Jasmine says, smirking.

"You think?" Gwen asks. "I don't mean any offence, Astrid, Jas, but Merlin doesn't look like one of those big, muscly kind of fellows."

"Thanks," Merlin says, sounding hurt.

"No, no! I'm sure you're stronger than you look!" Gwen tries to amend herself. I have to press my lips together to stifle my giggles. "It's just, Arthur is one of these rough tough, save the world kind of men. Well..."

"What?"

"You don't look like that."

Merlin looks around before gesturing for us to lean in toward him. He whispers, "I'm in disguise!"

I chuckle along with Gwen and Jas.

She and Jas stare at me and I ask, "What?"

"It's just, I've never heard you laugh like that before," Jas says.