Chapter 34, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

As I walking through the corridors, I spot Gwen walking as though in a hurry. I take that as an opportunity and fall into step beside her.

"Gwen, did you see Merlin today?"

"Yes, when I brought Arthur lunch. He was very rude about it, even though I'd offered to take over so he could rest and spend the day with you, as looking for a house. And, as I was doing my rounds, I saw the pigs have died. Anyway, I have to go see Gaius to give him the food I'd found with the pigs to look at. It's been poisoned. I'll see you later, Astrid!" She waves at me before hurrying off.

I watch the maid hurry off.

I pause when she leaves, piecing things together. If Merlin had taken the Aconite poison, gone to give Arthur lunch, and the pigs have ended up dead, then that could only mean my theory was correct, that Merlin is under the influence of the Famorrah.

As I search for my husband, I spot Leon as he wanders down a corridor.

"Have you seen Merlin?" I ask, pausing in front of the knight.

"He was in the armoury," Leon answers, as he stops before me.

"What did he want in there?" I ask.

Leon starts to grin as he answers, "The crossbow! I think Arthur must be getting in his nerves."

I ask wearily, my brows furrowed, "Why?"

Leaning forwards to say in a whisper, the knight says, "He said he was "Going to kill him!"

I stand there, gaping at the knight in disbelief, my theory being confirmed.

"Thanks! See you later, Sir Leon!" I call, waving as I hurry onward.

When I skid to a stop before Arthur's chambers, the King was just exiting them, dressed in a brown trench coat, matching trousers and boots for the Knighting Ceremony, sword in hand.

Upon seeing me, Arthur says, gesturing back at his door, "Your husband's in there, in case you were looking for him. By the way, how's house hunting going?"

I say vaguely, "Not that great. If you'll excuse me..."

Giving Arthur a grateful smile, I thank him and dash inside, just in time to see my husband lying sprawled on the floor, his back to me, Gwen and Gaius. Gwen and Gaius look back at me just as Merlin begins to stir.

I gaze around and spot an empty pitcher on a shelf nearby. Acting quickly, I snatch it up, rushing up to Merlin. I hit Merlin on the back of the head with the pitcher, emitting a loud clang.