Chapter 50, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

In bed that night, naked beneath the blankets, Merlin holds me tightly in his arms, as I assure him we will get our magic back somehow, and he just kissed me in return before holding me against him tightly, hand stroking my white blonde hair.

The next morning, in my riding leathers, I stand at the table with the knights in the court room as we make plans.

Arthur says as he points to the map sprawled before us, "To reach Camelot, Morgana will have no choice but to cross the White Mountains. Now, the only paths that gives passage to an army that size," Arthur unrolls a smaller map of said mountains, "is here."

Percival says, "The path is surrounded by cliffs on either side."

"That's where we'll meet them. Now, we may be outnumbered, but if we don't let them outflank us, then we can hold the pass."

I ask, "How long? Morgana has no care for the lives of her men. The same with Cassius."

Arthur answers, "She can't supply for an army that size indefinitely. Not isolated by the mountains. If we could hold out long enough, she'd be forced to retreat." He addresses Percival. "Percival, at what point the pass is at its narrowest?"

"Here." He points to a spot on the map. "Camlamn, Sire."

I snap my head up to my husband and our gazes lock, as he'd told me all about his conversation with the Key of all Knowledge

I snap my head up to my husband and our gazes lock, as he'd told me all about his conversation with the Key of all Knowledge. My heart thuds against my rib cage.

"Then it is at Camlamn that we make our stand," Arthur decides.

When he dismisses everyone, Merlin and I go to Gaius's chambers to tell him.

"I hope to never hear that name again," Merlin says with his back to us.

I say, "He cannot go, Merlin. We'll have to persuade him."

"We know Arthur better than we know ourselves

"We know Arthur better than we know ourselves. He'll not listen," Merlin replies, turning back to us.

Gaius says, "If Arthur goes to Camlamn, the prophecy will come true, and he will die."