Chapter 25, Part 1

Merlin's P. O. V:

After I'd helped Arthur prepare for the ceremony, Astrid, and Gwen approach me cautiously and we peer through the crack in the door to watch Arthur kneeling before the throne, in order to choose his quest.

Gwen asks curiously, "What's he actually doing?"

I reply, "Thinking."

"About?"

Astrid and I smirk teasingly as we both say in perfect sync, "You." Gwen hits our arms playfully, making us chuckle. We pull back as I quietly shut the door.

I tell the girls, Astrid standing next to me, "He has to decide upon a quest."

Gwen mutters, shaking her head, "Crouching on his knees all night's not going to help."

Astrid, already knowing about this, explains, "He has to transcend his body so that the quest is revealed to him in a vision." She then looks at me and asks, "And you're going to stay up with him all night?"

I reply, "Astrid, Gwen, this is one of the most important days in a Prince's life!"

"Whatever you say. Whatever you say," She says, as Gwen purses her lips. "I'll at least bring you a blanket so you don't freeze on the cold floors all night."

"Thanks," I say, smiling at that as she and Gwen take their leave.

The next morning, I wake up to someone kicking my head and grunt, seeing it's Uther and the court, heading for the throne room. As I sit up, I look down to see my body wrapped in a blanket, and smile at the thought of my wife coming when I'd drifted off to sleep, and wrapping the blanket around me.

I bundle up the blanket as I get to my feet and follow the court into the throne room.

Uther places his gloved hand on Arthur's left shoulder, saying, "It is time." The Prince opens his eyes and gets to his feet as he turns to Uther. "What is the quest you have chosen?"

Arthur responds as I take a few steps closer, "I can see but one path, Sire. I am to enter the realm of the Fisher King, and find the golden trident, spoken of in the legend of the Fallen Kings."