Chapter 33, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

The next morning, I stand next to my mate in the war tent as Arthur tells everyone about the new plan of attack, which is single combat between our champion and Annis's.

"But, Sire, we can win this battle!" Leon says insistently. "I know we can!"

"I don't doubt it, but at what cost? How many men will be slaughtered?" Arthur queries.

Elyan questions, "And what if we were to lose this trial? We can't give up our land!"

"That's the deal I've struck," Arthur says simply. "I believe it to be fair. They'll stand by."

"Will they?" Agravaine asks.

I state, "All that remains My Lord, is for you to choose your champion."

"It will be a privilege, Sire," Percival says as he steps forward, followed by Elyan and the others.

"Sire!"

"There can be only one choice," Arthur reminds them. "One choice which is just and honourable." A pause. "This fight's mine."

This causes the knights to step back in acceptance as I exchange weary glances with Merlin.

Though, I suppose, knowing Arthur for as long as I have, I should've seen this coming.

As I lie in bed with my mate that night, his arms around me and my head on his chest, Merlin asks me, "I'm glad you're here with me, Astrid." Merlin tightens his arms around me.

"I don't plan on leaving you, my love," I murmur back, as he runs his fingers through my hair soothingly.

I soon drift off to sleep to the feel of Merlin running his fingers through my white blonde hair.

                         🗡🗡🗡

The next afternoon, I head into Arthur's tent, donning my armor with my blue cape, weapons at my side and my hair tied back into a braid, to let the King know it's time for combat to commence.

I walk in just in time to see the young King standing in front of Merlin, grasping his forearm as though in the middle of a shake. Both males look up at me as I announce, "It is time."

"Very well," Arthur says as he releases Merlin's forearm and averts his gaze.

I ask, "Is all in readiness?"

"Merlin?" Arthur looks to his servant questioningly.

"Ready," The ravenette responds.

Arthur turns to his sword, sitting on the table next to him, and unsheathes the blade. He flips it over as he studies it before turning to leave the tent.

"Right then." Arthur pauses, however, and turns to me. He takes something out of his pocket and holds it out to me, saying, "Astrid, should this day prove to be my last, give this to Guinevere. Tell her I'm sorry."

I gaze down at the ring in Arthur's palm, before I nod and take it. "Of course. Just... promise me you'll be careful out there."

"I promise," He says. "Thank you, Astrid."

"For what?" I ask, furrowing my brows.

"You were always there for me, fighting by my side and giving me advice these past few months—invaluable advice. I don't know what I'd do without you. You've always been a loyal friend to me."

I smile slowly at the blonde, feeling my heart swell with warmth. "Even though you are the most infuriating Prince I've ever met... it has been my honour to know you, to fight alongside you, and to be your friend."