Chapter 22, Part 3

Astrid's P. O. V:

The next morning, after getting dressed in a long sleeved yellow dress with the white sleeves and matching amber jewellery, my hair in a half braid half ponytail, I eat breakfast and then go for a walk through the corridors.

I find Merlin and Gwaine polishing the entire army's boots in the throne room. Gaping, I ask as I approach, "How did you two get stuck with this job?!" This gains both their attention.

 Gaping, I ask as I approach, "How did you two get stuck with this job?!" This gains both their attention

"You can thank Gwaine here for that, Astrid. He did put all the money for the food and drink on Arthur's tab, and so, Arthur decided to punish us by making us polish all the army's boots," Merlin answers, gesturing with the brush to the boots, lined up neatly before them. "I told him I'd pay for it."

I face palm as I groan, "Oh, honestly, Gwaine!"

Gwaine asks me curiously, "So, you're a Queen, but you're living here, in Camelot? I've heard from around but don't know the details. You and Merlin seem very casual around each other, despite the fact you're a Queen. Why aren't you living in your own kingdom?"

I say, "Merlin can tell you that story. It's a long one. I have to get ready for training soon." Merlin holds up his hand in a wave as I spare them a smile, before I turn and leave.

I sit on a bench and watch as Arthur hits an armoured dummy with his long sword, getting ready for the Mêlée, having changed into my blue tunic and breeches, my hair in a braid.

"You look like you could use some practice." Arthur pauses and we turn our heads to see Oswald and Ethan striding toward us, as Merlin puts some swords on the ground in front bench I'm sitting on.

"Ah. You think so?"

"I know so!" Arthur throws out his arms to go ahead. Oswald waves his fingers pointedly at Merlin for him to bring the knight a sword, which he does.

Merlin steps back as Oswald spins the blade and aims it Arthur. We watch as they exchange swift blows, raising their swords high and clashing them. They slash for each other a few more times before Oswald brings his sword up against Arthur's. He pushes the Prince back. They slack twice before pressing their swords against one another.

Arthur says, pinching his chin, "You're rusty! You aren't as quick as you used to be!"

"Still quick enough to hit you!" Arthur pulls back and Oswald lunges for him, but stumbles forward due to the momentum, and Arthur steps around him. I tilt my head when I realise Oswald is holding his sword in his right hand, not his left...

Wasn't he supposed to be left handed...?

As it reading my thoughts, Arthur asks, "I thought you were left handed?"

"Yes, I am. I, uh, just wanted to give you a chance!" He says before swinging his sword for the Prince again. Arthur dicks and dodges, clashing his blade against Oswald's. "Why don't we make this more interesting?" Arthur drags their swords down and swings at him, but the dark haired knight dodges. "50 gold coins first clean hit."