Chapter 30, Part 3

Astrid's P. O. V:

I walk up the path to where the knights were preparing to leave, now wearing my purple dress with my thistle earrings.

I look up just as Lancelot pats his white horse and meets me halfway, a smile on his lips.

"Astrid."

"I've come to say goodbye, and to wish you all good luck," I tell the dark haired man.

"Thank you. We will need it," Says Lancelot.

I then spot Arthur and Merlin leading their horses down the cobbled path toward us. My eyes lock with my maye's as they near us. I turn and first go up to Arthur, as he and Merlin stop their horses before me and the other knights.

"I want to come with you," I say pleadingly, gazing up at him.

"I've already told you, Astrid: it's too dangerous. You're needed here. You'll stay and assist Agravaine," Arthur says sternly.

"Only if you promise me that, you'll find some other way to stop the Dorocha, should it present itself to you?"

"I will. I promise," Arthur says.

Then, my eyes meet Merlin's, gripping his horse's reins and looking tense, shoulders hunched inward. I didn't really get the chance to say goodbye to him before, and I wanted to now.

I step past the Prince and over to his servant, my eyes never leaving his. I stop in front of Merlin, gazing up at his face solemnly. "You will be careful, my love?"

He gives me a reassuring smile as he says, "Always."

"I really wish I can come with you. I don't want to stay here and wait for a mate who might never come back," I murmur, feeling Arthur and Lancelot watching us, along with a couple of the other knights.

Merlin grips my left shoulder as he says, "I'm sorry, my love, but I cannot let you come. You mean the world to me, and without you, the world would be just as bleak as it is now. Empty, even." Merlin lifts his hand and gently caresses my chin, making my skin tingle with his touch. "I'll keep you in my memory. I've told you before that it's impossible for me to forget you."

Tears were beginning to well up in my eyes. Ignoring the men watching, Merlin leans down and presses his lips to mine deeply, and I relax into it. As Merlin kisses me, my tears burst free and leak down my face.

After a moment, Merlin slowly pulls back and gazes at me. "I love you, Astrid."

I sniffle as I reply, "And I love you, Merlin. Please be careful."

He nods, gently wiping the tears away with his thumb. Then, my warlock pulls away from me and mounts his horse. As I turn, I catch Gwaine, Percival and Lancelot watching, a teasing smile on Gwaine's face, but I didn't care.

I just stand there, watching as my mate gallops out of the castle with the knights. He didn't look back, and I remain standing there, my tears still leaking down my face, as my beloved disappears from my sight, Arthur and his knights in tow.

 He didn't look back, and I remain standing there, my tears still leaking down my face, as my beloved disappears from my sight, Arthur and his knights in tow

Morgana's P. O. V:

In my dream, I see a red, dry land with countless weapons of different kinds plunged into the earth or strewn across it, along with shields, among just as many bodies, if not more. Above, burns a sky of blood red.

I then see the figure of a tall man with long white hair, beard and moustache and wearing a red robe, a staff in his hand. And behind him is Astrid, battling Cassius.

He shoots Lightning at her from above, laughing. "You're weak!" Cassius spits. "You disappoint me, Sister!"

Catching her breath after dodging another lightning bolt, Astrid pants, "I'm sorry to be such a disappointment to you, Brother."

"Please

"Please...! Help me, Emrys...!" I beg as I hold out my shaking hand to him.

"Is this really what you wanted, Morgana?!" The old sorcerer thunders, white hair tossing in the wind.

Astrid is too busy battling her brother to look at me, firing attacks of her own back at him occasionally.

I wanted to beg her to help me,.. but she just continues to battle Cassius, and I suddenly bolt upright, awake, gasping sharply.

I try to steady my breath from the shock of that dream. I didn't know who Enrys was, but I do know one thing: he is my Doom.

I seethe their names into the darkness of my hovel I was forced into a year ago, "Emrys, Astrid!"

Astrid's P. O. V:

That night, I get into my white nightgown with the puffed sleeves and brush my hair out, before I gaze out the open window, to the sparkling stars and the moon shining above.

I silently prayed for everyone's safe return, before I climb under the blankets, and get comfortable. But, as I drift off to sleep, I can feel the tears pouring down my cheeks.

Two more days have passed since Arthur and his company had set out on their mission. I'd tried to think of ways I could save my mate, but I couldn't; though I have been checking in through my mate bond every now and then.

They were far—just so very far, and I could not reach them. I've tried contacting Merlin through my Telepathy, but I'd only spoken to him once before he disconnected us.

I kept myself busy by tending to the wounded.

I tried to picture my mother and wonder what she would do if she were here... but I struggled to come up with answers for that.

On the third night, I'd once again tugged at the bond, but I get na response.

I knew then, that there was nothing I could do to save my mate. After finally finding each other, I was to lose him.

I hug myself and lie down, curling into a ball.

Then, I just let my tears fall.