Chapter 27, Part 1

Merlin's P. O. V:

I mutter sarcastically as I walk across the main courtyard with Arthur, carrying his armor and weapons in my arms, "Did anyone think this tournament through? A contest, open to all comers, the prize of a hundred gold coins. Hmm. I wonder what kind of people are going to turn up?" Around us, knights, guards servants and newcomers alike are getting ready for the upcoming tournament. I still don't get what's so exciting about it.

Even Astrid is excited about this tournament. She hasn't really stopped talking about it and she wishes she could enter it herself. But, being a woman, it's not allowed.

Arthur responds, "It's tradition, Merlin. The tournament's been held every ten years—if centuries. Nothing to worry about!" We enter the training field where coloured tents and targets have been set up for the contestants to practice in.

I nearly jump when a burly man wearing a helmet swings a huge axe and lops off the head of a dummy wearing armor. I ask Arthur, "Tell me he can't use that in the contest?"

"He can use what he likes. It's an open tournament," Arthur states, removing his gloves.

"What about the," I smack my lips pointedly, "Knight's Code?"

Pausing, Arthur turns to me and explains, "That counts for nothing. The only rule is... there are no rules."

Just as I'm about to resume walking, I duck back just in time to avoid getting my own head lopped off by a small axe that's flying at me. It embeds itself in the target. I whip my head from it to its wielder with a gasp. It's another burly looking man with brown hair, beard and moustache, and next to him is a shorter man with a bald head, his arms crossed as he holds a sword beater. They both smirk at me, chuckling.

I mutter, "Yeah, you're right; there's nothing to worry about!" I quickly catch up to Arthur only to see he's stopped to chat with a few men.

Astrid's P. O. V:

Merlin refills Arthur's wine at dinner as I dine with the king, Uther, Arthur and Morgana that night. I put a forkful of lamb in my mouth as Morgana asks Uther, "Remind me, how many times have you win this tournament, exactly?"

I wear my light purple dress with crescent moon jewellery and my gold heart locket.

Uther responds, "3."

Merlin refills Uther's goblet as Morgana says to the blonde male across from me and Morgana, "That's a lot to live up to, Arthur."

He nods once as he says in agreement, "Indeed."

Arthur swigs from his goblet as Morgana tells Uther, "I remember your last victory." Merlin refills here goblet as she speaks. "You were a master in the arena." Uther sets down his goblet as he nods his head.

I say, as Merlin refills my goblet, "It's such a shame we won't get to see you compete again, especially since I only got to see you compete once."

"Who says you won't?" Uther asks, putting a grape in his mouth.

Morgana says, "I thought you said you were too old to take the field?"

"It's not age that stops me," Ge says, wiping his mouth on a napkin. "I'll still prove a match for any man."

"Well, we won't be finding out," Arthur says, putting down his napkin.

"Why ever not?"

"Because I don't want you getting hurt." This makes Uther burst out chuckling.

Morgana asks, "Do you think you could still win the crown?"

Arthur states simply, "The kingdom needs him to rule, not to fight."