Chapter 40, Part 3

Astrid's P. O. V:

A few more hours later, Merlin, Arthur, Tristan, Isolde and I finally make it to the border that separates us from Camelot to Loch's kingdom, Ealdor sitting at the foot of the mountains.

Gesturing with his sword at a small brook, Arthur states, "This marks the border between Camelot and Loch's kingdom."

Merlin says, "Ealdor lies at the far side of that valley. Maybe... half a day on foot."

I say, "We'll rest here for tonight. There's no way Agravaine could've tracked us through those mountains." I add as I hold my arms out for Isolde, and she steps toward me, "I'll build a fire. We must keep Isolde warm."

She puts one arm around my shoulders as I take her free hand, and Merlin falls into step beside us.

I hear Arthur say to Tristan, "Here. Keep your strength up."

"I'll get my own," Tristan says tersely, no doubt ignoring the water skin Arthur was offering.

I ask Isolde as we head to a clearing near us, "So, how long have you and Tristan been together?"

"Oh, a few years. What about you and Merlin?"

"Well, we actually got married not that long ago. And it was only a couple of weeks ago that I found out I was pregnant," I say.

"I'll go get that fire started."

I turn to find some firewood to get the fire going.

Later, as Isolde and Tristan were sleeping, I lean my head against Merlin's shoulder with his arm around me, as we sit up with Arthur around the fire, who is sitting opposite us, a grave expression on his face.

"You knew," Arthur murmurs to both of us. Merlin and I glance at him. "You two knew Agravaine was betraying me."

Merlin says, tightening his arm around me, "We couldn't be sure. We did have our suspicions."

Arthur hangs his head for a moment, before muttering, "I feel like such a fool. I had so much trust in him. Worst, the whole time I was blind to his treachery as I was to Morgana's."

I say gently, seeing Arthur's blue eyes beginning to get wet with tears, "You were deceived, Arthur. That could happen to anyone."

"Yet, it keeps happening to me. I cared about these people... I don't understand. What have I done wrong? Why do they hate me?"

I say firmly, "No, they don't hate you. They just... crave your power for themselves."

"Perhaps," Arthur muses. "Would they still want that power if I was the King my people deserved? Maybe Tristan was right—!"

I interrupt as I say, straightening in my sitting position to look Arthur in the eye, "Tristan was angry, and..." Merlin and I glance over to see him with Isolde curled up against his side. "... afraid. He needed to blame someone, but it's not you that's to blame."

I glance at my husband as he gazes at me, to see in his blue grey eyes that he would've reacted in the same way, if he were Tristan, because Merlin fears losing me more than anything else in the world.

"You seem very sure about all of this," Arthur mutters.

"All I know is, that for all your many faults, you are honest, brave, true hearted. And, one day, you will be the greatest King this land has ever known."

Merlin nods as he says in agreement, "She's right."

Arthur scoffs. "Well, at least now I have the support of my best friend and servant."

"We're not alone," I tell him. "Believe us."

Arthur doesn't say anything, just nods silently in agreement.

                         🗡🗡🗡

The next morning, we finally make it to Ealdor, where chickens cluck as they run about with geese and the villagers were going about their morning routine.

Tristan is carrying Isolde against him as we spot Hunith come around the corner, carrying an empty basket. She drops it at the sight of her son and runs over to him, hugging Merlin.

"Mother!" Merlin exclaims happily, hugging her back.

She kisses his cheek before they pull back. "Welcome home, Merlin!" Hunith then spots me with Arthur and the others before she comes over and hugs me as well.

After that, Hunith leads us to her house where Merlin and I tend to Isolde's wounds. He cleans it while I use my magic to heal it.

Merlin soon announces, "I've cleaned her wound. There's no sign of infection. And my wife healed it just fine. So, as long as she gets plenty of rest, she'll be fine."

"Thank you, Merlin, Astrid. For everything you've done for her," Tristan says gratefully. Merlin nods back before going and getting rid of the cloth, leaving me alone with the males.

I take my seat next to Arthur at the table and put some food on my plate. As I chew on some cheese, Arthur apologises, "I'm sorry to have brought such misfortune upon you."

"I may have lost my cargo, but at least I still have my beloved Isolde," Tristan says softly as he glances from Isolde.

Swallowing, I say as I smile softly at him, "Then you're richer than you know, for love is the most valuable treasure of all."

Tristan and Arthur smile at that.

A couple of hours later that night, while Merlin goes to spend time with his mother, Tristan and I are in Hunith's house, the blonde man lingering beside Isolde. We'd learned that Gwen had been hiding out here, so when I saw my friend, I'd immediately hugged the life out of her. She'd then left to tend to Arthur's wounds.

"I just wanted to thank you for saving Isolde," Tristan says gratefully.

I smile back at him as I say, "You don't have to thank me. I wasn't just about to let my friend die, despite what you think of me and Arthur."

Tristan states, slight astonishment in his voice, "I saw you fighting those men yesterday. I was rather impressed when I saw you kill that man with lightning. I'd always heard that the Faery Queen, Astrid Ashryver was strong, but seeing you fight yesterday just confirms it."

I smile slightly as I respond, "I'll do whatever it takes to protect my friends and family—even if it means I have to take someone's life. Listen, I know you hate Arthur, but believe me when I say he's actually a good and decent person—and King. I know, because I've seen it for myself, but only if you give Arthur a chance."

Tristan says nothing as he gazes back at me.

As Tristan and I stay up, sitting at the table, a warm drink before us, we jerk our heads up when we hear people screaming.

I say as I get to my feet and peer out the window, "It's Agravaine. He's found us!"

Tristan helps Isolde to her feet. We  meet up with Merlin and the others outside. We watch as Agravaine shoves a villager down. Tristan asks, "Any suggestions?"

Merlin responds with a glance from the others to me, "Around the back." Tristan, Isolde, Arthur and Gwen turn and jog around the building, while I grip Merlin's hand with my hand. We make our eyes flash gold and this causes a cart nearby to start rolling forward. We chant in unison, "Scin scir!"

Flames burst within the cart, setting it alight. We grin slightly as Agravaine turns, only to jump out of the way of the cart as Merlin keeps a firm grip on my hand and we run after the others, heading for the village gate.

As we run, Agravaine must've seen us because he shouts, "THERE!! GET THEM!!!"

Merlin lets go of my hand and Tristan helps Isolde as we run through the night dark woods, away from our enemy.