Chapter 26, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

"Morgana?" Gaius asks after Merlin returns and tells us that Gwen had told him she believes Morgana might've planted the poultice. Jas had gone to check in her friend herself, and I watch as Merlin paces. "Uther would never believe Morgana is responsible."

I suggest, "Perhaps Arthur will talk him around?"

Gaius reminds us, "Uther thinks Arthur's enchanted! Anything that Arthur does is going to strengthen that belief. I fear that's not going to save Gwen." Gaius steps past Merlin and I before stopping.

"If we can't expose the true sorcerer... then we must invent one," Merlin says, smirking. I blink my eyes at him questioningly.

"Merlin?" Gaius questions as he stands in front of the warlock.

He chortles as he explains, "What if a sorcerer was caught planting an identical poultice in Arthur's chambers? Uther would have no choice but to release Gwen!" The ravenette turns and rushes up to his chambers.

I ask, "And do you know of a sorcerer who's stupid enough to get caught doing such a thing?"

Merlin pauses and peers back at us from the doorway as he says with a devious grin, "Me!" Gaius and I exchange curious looks before we go up to the room. Merlin perches on the bed as he flips through the magic book. "If I disguise myself it won't matter if I'm caught. I can use magic to escape and then just change back into myself! They'll just think that the sorcerer has just vanished into thin air!"

Merlin sets the book on the desk and reaches up to grab a pestle from the overhanging rack.

I tell him, "No matter how you disguise yourself, I fear that Arthur will recognise you."

Merlin says in an old man's voice, "Not if I'm 80 years old."

My and Gaius's eyes widen as he says in realisation, "An ageing spell?"

I state, "Merlin, ageing spells are notoriously difficult and unpredictable. If the spell doesn't hold, you'd be exposed!"

"If I don't do something, Gwen's going to die. And I am not going to let that happen," Merlin says determinedly, flipping through the book. He asks the Physician, "Can you make a poultice identical to the one found in Arthur's chambers?"

"Oh, I believe so."

"Okay," Merlin utters as he nods his head. When we hesitate, he looks back at us pointedly, before we turn and go back downstairs to wait for the end results.

After several moments, Gaius ties up a pouch much like the one Morgana planted as I gently bounce Mira in my arms, cooing to her softly. I turn when I hear footsteps coming from down the stairs and gape at the sight before me, as Gaius follows my gaze.

Standing before us isn't the young, handsome warlock, but rather, an old man with long white hair and beard and moustache, wearing Gaius's old red robes. He mumbles to himself as he stands before us with his hands clasped together.

Gaius gets up and we both go over to him as Merlin says, standing before us, "You know me better than anyone, Gaius. Do you recognise me?"

The Physician looks him up and down before he squints at Merlin's face. Gaius states, "There's something of you in the eyes... but perhaps that's just because I know it's you."

Because of the fact that I am a faery, I'm immortal. Nimueh has been around since the Great Purge and was Uther's friend, making her at least forty years old. But when Merlin and I met her, Nimueh still looked to be in her twenties. And, because I'm a creature of the Old Religion, I also have the power of the heavens in my veins, which means that no mortal weapon could kill me, unless it's made of iron, and I'll have a much longer lifespan than normal sorcerers.