Chapter 44, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

The next morning, I had awoken to find myself in the comfy chair in the common quarters, my book on the stool beside me and my blanket tucked around my shoulders. I'd then found my husband getting Lila's breakfast after he'd finally gotten back from the trip with Arthur.

After a kiss, breakfast and a bath and clean gold dress and citrine jewellery, we'd left for the meeting at the Round Table.

I sit next to Gwaine, Merlin to the side with Jas and the kids, as Leon gives the report.

"We'd covered the area from Porlet down to Maldref. This includes 30 troops," He takes up the papers, "and debauchery. 15 at Talon, and 10 at Chime, 9 at Brune—"

RATTLE, RATTLE!

We all jump and twist in our seats as the two double doors behind us suddenly swing open with a slam. But there was no one there.

Leon continues after a glance at Arthur, "11 at Birwell—"

BOOM!!

Leon was cut off once more by the candelabra crashing onto the tabletop, cracking it right down the middle, Lila letting out a small scream of fright. I feel my heart racing in my chest, my blue eyes wide.

Arthur dismisses everyone and I walk with him and my husband down the corridor, Lila resting against my hip

"I want the Table prepared before the next council meeting. Are you listening to me, Merlin?!" Arthur hollers, looking back as my husband and I catch up to him.

"What? Sorry! I was just thinking about what happened!" He says.

"Did you get a terrible fright?" Arthur asks sarcastically, though he glances at me and the kids with concern.

"Yes, my heart nearly jumped out of my mouth."

"You're not the only one," I mutter.

"That was scary!" Lila says.

Arthur says to my husband, "Maybe you should have the rest of the day off and put your feet up, spend some time with your family."

"Really?" Merlin asks hopefully. Arthur pauses and looks back at us with a deadpan expression. "You were joking." I roll my eyes at the Pendragon in annoyance.

" I roll my eyes at the Pendragon in annoyance