Chapter 13, Part 2

Astrid's P. O. V:

We stop to rest that night and Arthur and I wake up early the next morning. When we were ready to go, Merlin was still fast asleep.

"Merlin!" Arthur says as he takes his water skin out and pours the contents on Merlin's face.

He immediately wakes up with a start and waves his hands around as he gasps, "Bleh! Awe, what's happening?!" He blinks his eyes a few times and sees me standing next to Eclipse, stroking his neck and trying not to laugh. "How long was I asleep for?"

"Long enough," Arthur responds.

"Did you get some rest?" Merlin inquires, seeing that I, however, look well rested.

"Couldn't sleep," Arthur answers as he puts the water skin back in his bag.

Merlin says as he sits up, "I've never seen you like this. About anyone." Arthur glances at him.

"What are you to talking about?" The blue eyed male demands to know.

"Gwen," Merlin says pointedly. Arthur doesn't say anything as he closes his saddlebag. "You really... care about her, don't you?"

Arthur responds, "What I care about is not wasting anymore time talking. Let's get moving." Arthur takes Torrento's reins and starts leading him away.

I take Eclipse's reins and follow after Arthur, as Merlin goes to pack up his stuff.

Hours later, we tie the horses up at trees in a small clearing, and Merlin and I go to Arthur as he turns away, walking toward three caves ahead of us, and pausing, looking at a map.

"The ransom was supposed to be delivered to The Veil of Danaria. If they're holding Gwen anywhere, it has to be there!" He points to a spot on the map. "Which means..." We look up at three caves branching off in front of us. "... we save a day's riding if we cut through... The Tunnels of Andor."

We look at the tunnels, and I feel very weary, having known about them growing up

We look at the tunnels, and I feel very weary, having known about them growing up. I've even passed through here one time in the past with Derek, for a hunting trip.

I say to Arthur, "You cannot be serious, Arthur! The Tunnels of Andor?! Isn't there another shortcut we can take, Arthur?!"

"Unfortunately, Your Highness, there is not," Arthur responds curtly. "None that are shorter, anyway."

Merlin sees the grim expressions on our faces and immediately becomes fearful, his face paling. "Oh, no! I know those faces! I'm not gonna like this, am I?! What's in the tunnels?"

I stare at Merlin with a weary expression, and tell him as Arthur rolls up the map, "They're... infested with Wilddeoren." Wilddeoren are giant, hairless rats that are completely blind and hunt by sense of smell. They are known to hunt in packs.