Chapter One - Tattoos

Davina King

Slow.

That was the word to describe how the entire day had been. I woke up with no errands to run, no important places to go, no friends to meet up with, and work didn't start until eight pm. My job wasn't anything special or extraordinary, but being a bartender could be fun at times. You never really know what will happen or what you'll see.

By the time it was six o'clock I was ready to just get out of my apartment and into the club I work at, Echo. The uniforms we had to wear weren't anything special or outgoing in any way.  A plain white shirt tucked into any type of black bottoms, wreathe it be jeans, shorts, or a skirt. I'm not typically the one who wears skirts to work because I felt like they showed too much to the drunk men who couldn't keep their eyes to themselves. However I desperately need to do laundry so my only option was a black skirt. It was a little shorter than I would have liked it to be but I guess I'll just have to suck it up.

Given that it was a Thursday night, I had been expecting there to be a bigger crowd at Echo. Besides the weekends, Thursdays were usually pretty busy nights. To my disappointment, there wasn't a long line outside waiting to be let into the building. This could only mean that there wasn't a large crowd inside either.

People might think that I'm crazy for hoping that there would be large amounts of people, but I liked to keep busy and stay on my feet. There is literally nothing worse than having nothing to do and being bored for hours on end. Well maybe it isn't the worst thing in the world, but to me it's pretty damn close. Plus, I already had to suffer through that enough today. I just couldn't put up with it anymore. 

Echo could hold close to four-hundred people on its most packed nights, typically there was only about two or three hundred people. However, tonight there was only about a hundred, maybe one-fifty if I was lucky. Not only was I upset about the lack of work I would have to keep me up and busy, but I knew I wouldn't be making as much money in tips as I usually do. I relied heavily on tips for my income, so when the club was close to empty I knew it would be a bad night. I would also have to bust my ass the following nights to try and make up for the lack of income.

As soon as I placed my bag in my locker, I went to one of the three bars that were located inside of Echo. Tonight I was working the main bar instead of one of the two smaller ones. So far this was the only upside of my day because more people came to the main bar. A small group of the regulars were already seated and a few looked like they were already intoxicated. 

We haven't even been open for that long. How are people drunk already?

The majority of people were dancing to the loud music that was playing. Only a handful of people would be up at the bar at a time and they would go right back to the dance floor as soon as a new drink was in their hand. A few people didn't even bother to leave me a tip.

Ungrateful assholes.

Now I really would have to bust my ass this weekend if wanted to have enough money to cover my rent for the month.

By mid-night I was just begging for the night to be over with. No one was here, no one was tipping, nothing fun or interesting was happening, and the regulars who were still in the same spot at the bar were getting on my nerves. My shift doesn't end till three a.m and if i'm being honest, I'm not sure I'll be able to last that long.

Another hour or so passed by when I was finally able to find something to distract myself with. Well not really something, but more like someone.  Never in my life had I seen someone that looked this damn good. Tall, tan, sharp jawline, beautiful blue eyes, dark brown hair that was messily swept back, and muscular arms that looked like they could rip through his shirt at any given moment. 

The tattoos.

From what I could see, he was completely covered in them. They stretched all the way up both arms and disappeared into the short sleeves of his grey t-shirt. Just like the ones on his arms, the ink on his neck dipped under the collar of his shirt. It was extremely hard for me to not allow my imagination of what the rest of his body looked like to run wild.

I'm guessing he has tattoos across his chest, and from the looks of his arms he definitely works out, so he probably has a toned stomach as well.

He sat down at the far end of the bar, away from everyone else. A man that I hadn't noticed before stood closely behind him, keeping his eyes on the rest of the club. It seemed like he was either looking for something or he was supposed to be a body guard of some sort. Not many people with personal body guards came in here, and if they did, they would pay extra to have seating in the VIP section. If it was a body guard, whoever this man was, he must be important or famous in someway. There has to be a reason why he was being protected. 

I had to snap myself out of my trance that I was in with this man. I took a breath before taking a few steps to approach him. "What can I get you to drink sir?" I asked in an all too cheerful tone. I had to at least make an attempt to sound nice. The expensive looking watch on his left wrist told me that he could be a good tipper.

I didn't get a response from him. Instead, he just looked me up and down slowly. I couldn't tell if he was checking me out or judging me because of the shortness of the skirt I had on. Either way, it was incredibly rude to just not respond to someone, especially someone that is trying to do their job and serve you.

"Hey, tattoos. My eyes are up here." I finally snapped after another few second of him not responding. Of course at the change of the tone of my voice, his eye looked up to meet mine. His gaze was intimidating to say the least. He looked like he could break the toughest person on the planet with that stare.

"Tattoos?"

God even his voice was perfect, and it matched his looks. It was so deep that it could make any female fall to their knees for him. I mean if I wasn't in a bad mood already I might have been just like one of those girls, but of course my patience was already thin so tonight I would not be on my knees for anyone. 

"Well I'm sure you're aware that you are covered in them so I do believe calling you tattoos is fitting." A small chuckle left his mouth causing him to smile ever so slightly to show off his perfectly straight and white teeth.

"I am fully aware, so tattoos it is then Angel."