Getting Away - Chapter Twenty•Four

Matteo Romano

I seriously don't know how she did it.

I don't know how she got such a hold over me. I don't know how she was able to make her way into my life and make me care so much about her.

When I lost her to Giovanni I was scared. Fear is not an emotion I feel often, but for those days she was gone, I was terrified.

I was terrified because I didn't know what I would do if I had lost her. I know I could live without in my life, but the truth is-

I didn't want to live without her here with me.

Even when I was a child, I never thought I would be capable of feeling anything like this towards someone. Part of me wanted to say I loved her, but I've never felt any type of feeling that was even close to love so I couldn't say for sure that it was.

All I know is I would do anything for her. If she asked me to jump out of a plane I would without any hesitation.

I yearned for the feeling of her warm body wrapped around mine. Not in a sexual way, I just wanted the feeling of her holding onto me like she didn't want to lose me.

I want her to hold me for the same reasons I hold her so close at night.

"Go away with me for a few days." I broke the silence we had been sitting in so comfortably for a few minutes.

Davina removed her head from my shoulder to send me a questioning look.

"No work, no problems, no one to bother us, anywhere you want to go. Just say where and we can go." I told myself that I would make things up to her and this is my way of doing so. Getting her away from the mayhem of the city, somewhere we can relax.

"What about everything here? You have businesses to run."

I smiled at her concern for what I do, but everything would be just fine for a few days. "Kian keeps things running whenever I have to travel somewhere for meetings, he'll be fine if it's because we're going somewhere."

Her face broke into a delighted grin with the idea of just her and I going on a vacation alone together. "Take me somewhere warm that has a beach."

An image of seeing her flaunting around in a small bikini flashed through my mind and I could not be more thrilled to get away now.

"Pack a bag then. I'll get everything set up for us to leave tomorrow."

-

Kian was ready to take things over for a few days, my pilot knew our destination, and my people knew I was leaving for a few days. Only Kian knows the real reason we're leaving.

I could hear Davina shuffling around in her room all morning, rushing around trying to get all of her belongings together before our plane left at twelve pm. My bag was already waiting by the door for me to grab when we leave.

We would have to leave soon. It was a quarter till eleven and we still had to drive across the city to get to the airport in time. With the way New York City traffic can be, I didn't want to run the risk of leaving any later than eleven.