Captive - Chapter Twenty

Davina King

It's so unbelievable cold.

The concrete flooring and walls surrounded me keeping all of the cold air in, and all of the warm air out.

I had spent what felt like the past day curled in a ball in the corner trying to keep myself warm. The only clothing I had on was my underwear and Matteo's button up, so it didn't do much to keep me from freezing.

No one had been in to check on me since I was put in this room, but every now and then I could hear someone walking by outside of the rusty metal door.

Matteo had to know that I was missing by now.

Was he already trying to find me? Did he even care that I was gone? Was he just living his life like I was never in it?

Questions like those had swarmed my mind for what I can only imagine has been hours. I had no way of telling how long I had been here. There weren't even windows for me to see any sun light.

The worst part was I didn't know where I was or who took me.

I was walking out of Matteo's room to go to my own when someone behind me hit me over the head. The next thing I knew I was waking up on the cold concrete floor of this room.

I could hear footsteps approaching the door, but I figured they would just walk away like they have been doing since I awoke. However, when they got to the door they stopped.

There was then the sounds of locks being undone. The door made a loud squeaking noise as it was pushed open. Light from the hallway came pouring into the room to showcase just how dirty it was.

My eyes still needed to adjust to the newly found light so I couldn't quite make out who was standing in the doorway, but the silhouette seemed familiar.

"I figured it was about time I paid you a visit." Now that voice made it clear as day who the familiar silhouette belonged too.

Giovanni.

He took a few steps into the room but stayed close enough to the door that I couldn't try to run out.

"So it wasn't hard to track you down. Matteo should have done a better job at covering your tracks, or he should have made sure no one would find out you were living with him." There was a sharp coldness in his voice and it sounded like he was taunting Matteo and I.

"Now, I need to know what your relationship is with him and what he's planning." He waited for me to respond. As if I would crack that easily and tell him everything.

My silence only irritated him, causing threats to come. "I don't have any problem getting it from you the hard way. Just make it easy on yourself and tell me what I want to know."

Once again, I didn't respond.

A loud huff came from him when he realized his verbal threats wouldn't work on me. "Fine, since you want to do things the hard way so badly."

He walked up to me and pulled a gun from the backside of his waistband. He raised it up to press the barrel right against the side of my head.