New Home - Chapter Four

Matteo Romano

We pulled up in the back ally of my building, just in case the men from the club were already awaiting our arrival to finish the job. They're lucky I hadn't planned this evening out. If I had, there would have been more of my men with me and we would have taken care of all of those assholes.

I started to step out of the car when I realized Davina wasn't moving. "Do you need an invite Angel?" At this point I was already standing outside the car, leaning in the door to see her. She looked up at me and started laughing. Laughing, at me.

"Mind explaining whats so funny?" There was a hint of annoyance in my voice. Can you blame me though? I literally saved her life and now she wants to laugh at me. At this point I should have just shot her myself.

"Sorry. Its just you really think that I'm gonna walk into a random building with the guy just came into my work, got shot at, then more than likely killed someone, and you've yet to even attempt to explain any of it to me. So please excuse me for not wanting to go with you."

Damn this girl.

As much as I hate to admit it, she had a point. If I was her I wouldn't trust me either. After all I am a criminal anyway, so she was smart to at least attempt to keep her distance. However that wasn't going to go her way. I had to remind myself that she had no clue who I was or what my reputation was in order to calm down. 

"Look I'll explain everything, but you're not leaving. Those people that were shooting at me will come after you because I saved you. They'll torture and kill you in an attempt to use you against me. If I let you go home it'll be signing your death sentence." Her face distorted at my mentions of death and torture. "Now Angel, get out, or I'll pull you out myself."

"Jesus, fine, I'm coming." And finally she opens the door to the car and gets out.

I lead her through the door to the building and then to one of the elevators. We got in and I pushed the button for the top floor. I heard a light giggle from beside me. "Now what are you laughing at?" I questioned her.

"This is such a cliche. Mysterious man saves me from death and then lives on the top floor of an expensive building. I bet you overlook the whole city too." She raised her eyebrow at me with a smile. Sarcasm and attitude that laced her voice like that was all she knew how to speak.

I've known this girl for one night and her attitude is already driving me insane. I think it's about time she learns that I'm not the one to get smart with.

I turned to face her and took two steps forward. She took a step back until her back came into contact with the elevator wall. I towered over her small figure, our hands gripped the small metal rail that ran along the wall, my hands just on the outside of hers. I could feel her body tense as I leaned into her neck, just close enough for my lips to ever so slightly graze her skin. "Well for starters, I own this building so of course I would grant myself the nicest living space. And actually yes, I do have very nice view of the city."

Her lips were slightly parted and I could feel the shakiness of her breaths against my shoulder. I pulled my head away from her neck but kept our foreheads close. I studied her features like the way her hair fell slightly in front of her face, her small button nose, the few freckles spotted over her cheeks, her lips that looked unbelievably soft, and her eyes. The lightest shade of green with hints of yellow around her irises. Ours eyes stayed on one another until the ding of the elevator snapped us both out of our daze.

"Well I guess that's our cue Angel." I pushed off the railing and started walking out, the sound of her light footsteps following behind me.

As we got to the door I nodded to the guard standing outside of it before unlocking it with my key. I opened the door and stepped back for Davina to enter first. Still remaining silent she walked in, this time I was following her.

Since my apartment was on the bigger side, as soon as you walk in there is a smaller foyer but then it opens up to the living room. With the kitchen and dinning area to the right and then the hallway that held the two bedrooms, the bathroom, and my office to the left. The far wall in the living room had floor-to-ceiling windows. The site of New York's blinding lights shown throughout the apartment.

Davina stopped her movements when she saw the view. Her eyes were transfixed on the tall buildings scattered across the busy streets. I walked past her and into the open kitchen to grab a glass and a bottle of whisky. "You want a drink?" I asked her.

I heard a scoff from her before she spoke. "What I want, is to go to my own place and lay in my own bed." As she was talking she managed to break her eyes away from the city and walked into the kitchen. She sat down on one of the stools on the opposite side of the island from me.

God she is really making me regret saving her.

I took a sip from my glass and then placed it down on the marble counter top. "Listen to me and listen to me closely." My hands gripped the edge of the counter, my knuckles turning white because I was holding it so tightly from her agitating me. "I could have just left you there and let them kill you. At this point I don't know why I did help you, and I am damn sure regretting my decision right now. So I'll let you take your pick." She held my gaze the whole time I was talking.

Under a different circumstance I would admire that because not many people have the decency to look me in the eye. "You can stay here until I take care of whoever the hell tried to take me out and make sure you won't be killed, or you can walk out of that door right now, but I promise you if you do that, you will be taken and killed the second you walk out of this building."

She stayed silent for a moment but wouldn't dare take her eyes off of mine.

"Okay. I'll stay"