Chapter 37: Friendships And Feuds

As the sun began to set, Seren stood on the balcony overlooking the entrance to the Barriel estate.

Seren: Any moment now. IO.

IO: Yes I am aware, if he  can't be persuaded by words and the guards can't take him, we can always use "that" technique.

Seren: No! We promised to never use it again!

IO: I know but you can't die again. If it comes down to it, it's you over me.

Seren: There!

Seren pointed. A small bolt of blue could be seen over the horizon. It seemed to get closer and closer until-

*BANG*

The front gate was blow away as if it were a feather. Seren jumped from his balcony to face him.

Cecilus: Your Seren I presume?

Seren: Correct, and you must be Cecilus Segment.

Cecilus: Oh so you've heard of me. Then I'm sure you've grasped the idea of why I'm here.

Seren: Your here for my head right?

Cecilus: Correct. I will be taking your life here and now. However I wish for a fair fight before hand.

Seren: Hold on, I've got a proposal for you.

Cecilus: Oh?

Seren: I can assume someone specifically asked for you to kill me. Am I right in assuming this?

Cecilus: Yeah your right.

Seren: Well then it's also a likely assumption that as a world renowned swordsman, your not doing this for free. Your clearly being paid to kill me, so my proposal is this. I will pay you more money then your employer is under the order to kill me. If your being payed more by me then you have no reason to attempt an assassination against me. So how much cash will be require for that to happen?

Cecilus looked at Seren, his eyes showing amusement and then, he laughed.

Cecilus: Hahahahaha! Unfortunately I am being paid with something greater then money that no amount can equal to.

Seren: By who!?!?

Cecilus: They told me to not tell you that.

Seren: Then what can I do to save my life?!

Cecilus: Nothing. There absolutely nothing you can do.

Seren: Wha- no way.

Cecilus: Now then prepare yourself, I believe is a fair fight. No tricks no lies, just a straight fight between two men. So I shall give you the first move.

Seren: Then could we please move somewhere else? If we're going to fight, I don't want to ruin the city.

Cecilus: Alright, I got a spot, follow me.

Cecilus turned and began walking, Seren ran to catch up, walking alongside him.

Seren: Are you sure it was a smart move turning your back to me like that.

Cecilus: Ah it's fine, I'm starting to like you kid. I doubt you'd try to attack me from behind, besides. You'd never get the chance to even graze me.

Seren felt a chill run down his spine at those words. Cecilus was so much stronger then he was. He had money, influenced and the ability to move as fast as lighting and strike stronger and more accurately then anyone else Seren knew. He was truly a terrifying man.

Seren: I gotta ask tho. Your the highest ranking general in the Volacian Empire. So why are you wasting your time on random assassin work? What about serving your king?