Chapter 50: Envy & Dwelling

Phil: What?

No one understood what Seren meant, but Seren felt his mind breaking at this revolution. There were others like him. Were they also created by his mothers? By another witch? Something else entirely? Seren didn't know.

Seren: Well, I'm created by the 7 witches of sin. And I inherited their powers called authority's. Phil, your ability to talk to mabeasts is very similar to my authority of gluttony. And Sky ... your power to control shadows is just like my authority of envy.

Phil: I see. Then are we also a creation of these witches?

Alice: Perhaps. But then that would mean they have these witches held captive so they continue making more children.

Seren: But that can't be it! My mothers are dead. Only their souls remain in a castle of dreams. Which recently became inaccessible.

It was a massive regret Seren felt. Ever since the barrier had vanished. Seren hadn't been able to enter the castle of dreams. He'd tried so many times to get back there, but it was as if his mothers had vanished.

Phil: What if we're something similar to what you're describing but not the same?

Sky: T-that would be why our abilities aren't e-exactly the same.

Phil: And more importantly who are these witches?

Seren: You mean you don't know? The witch of envy at least?

Phil: Sorry, I've never heard of her.

Seren: But she's so well known all across the world. She covered half the world in shadow!

Alice: We'll we're not exactly in a position to know about the outside world. And if she's so powerful then break us out already!

Seren: Well ... I currently don't have access to my envy authority.

Phil: And why is that.

Seren: Well, my mother to,d me I wouldn't have access to it for a while. She sacrificed my use of it for a while to save me. Because I d-

Intently the world seemed to freeze in place. Seren didn't understand. He couldn't use the authority of envy. So why was the world frozen? It felt cold as a purple mist covered the surrounding area. Seren felt a slight fear as he sensed something behind him. As it grew close he managed to get a glimpse of it. A hand, dark and purple like the shadows he summoned in the throne room.

Seren: Mother?

Somehow finding his voice within the frozen world. Seren called out. The hand didn't respond. Only continuing to approach. Seren felt a sense of familiarity to this unknown hand. But he also felt a strange fear in the pit of his stomach. Because he also seems to know. This wasn't his mother. It was her hand for sure, but this "thing" this creature. It wasn't his mother. And as it's face came into view. Seren knew who it was. It was malice. The true embodiment of evil.

Seren: The witch of envy

Envy: I love you. Your mother loves you.

Seren: Are you really her? Are you Satella?

Envy: I love you

Seren: Answer me!

Envy: I love you

Seren: If you're not, then go. Bring back Satella. Bring my true mother back here!

Envy: ...

The witch of envy grew silent as she reached her shadow hands into Seren's body. Seren felt like he was going to be sick from the feeling it was giving him. And it only got worse when he felt a stabbing pain in his chest. As if someone was grabbing his heart with an iron grip.