Chapter 19

Naomasa had been in a flurry of motion since Saito had called. She had been tasked with organizing people to send to the training camp, which meant he was free to go check on things himself. The location he was given was an hour's drive, but with his lights and sirens (and some reckless driving), that time was cut in half.

The camp was a mess when he arrived. People were everywhere - students being evaluated and interviewed, while others were being whisked away in ambulances. Naomasa checked every ambulance, every group of people he saw, and even a few trees, but Midoriya wasn't there. Had he been hurt so badly that he'd been rushed to the hospital? How was Naomasa going to tell Inko?

His anxiety eased a fraction when he spotted a familiar face in the crowd. "Vlad King, I'm glad you're okay. Do you know where Midoriya is?"

The hero looked hesitant. "Midoriya, the EMT kid? The quirkless one?"

An unexpected flare of irritation flashed through Naomasa, but he pushed it down. "He's a field medic, actually. Where is he? Was he in one of the ambulances that already left?"

"Midoriya... Midoriya is-"

"Midoriya is the only reason all of our students are safe," Eraserhead interjected, looking dead on his feet even as he approached them. "From what we can gather, the problem child traded himself off to the League of Villains so they would leave before they really hurt anyone."

Naomasa's blood ran cold. "No. No, it can't be."

"Detective!" a familiar voice called. Mori and Sohma had arrived finally after driving a (slightly) more legal speed. "Is everything okay?"

He felt his jaw clench. "I need statements from everyone that was here, now. Throw my name around, throw Tsuragamae's name around. Do whatever it takes."

"Naomasa," Sohma said quietly, placing a hand on the detective's shoulder, "Is everything okay?"

"The League of Villains has Midoriya," he said, feeling like the words were choking him. "They took Izuku."

Mori snorted. "Midoriya is like a cockroach. We can't get rid of him that easily."

While it was true that Mori had been sent to their particular police station to "refine" him and "make use of his potential," currently Naomasa saw none. He wanted nothing more than to fire the man, or better yet demote him to meter maid duty and litter patrol for the rest of his life."I need those statements now," Naomasa said frigidly. "You can start getting them from the same kids you did at the USJ incident, starting with the kid with the electricity quirk, Mori."Mori clearly wanted to protest, knowing that Kaminari had likely overused his quirk again. But even he was perceptive enough to know that now was not the time. Sohma slipped away, dragging his younger partner behind him, likely to give Mori the talking to of his life.

Things were spiraling out of control. He felt sick just thinking about Midoriya in the hands of villains, but there was no time for that. Naomasa rested a hand on Aizawa's shoulder. "Your job is to take care of the students. I'll let you know what happens as the plan progresses, but Midoriya is my responsibility now."

The underground hero was unreadable as ever, but Naomasa had a good idea of what he was feeling. Eraserhead nodded slowly. "I need to inform my students of what's happened. So far only Bakugou and Todoroki know. Do you have any objections?"

"Just tell them to keep it quiet, there's no need for this to go public. Midoriya is a minor, and if he wants to be a detective, publicity like this would do him no favors."