Part 8

"To get born, your body makes a pact with death, and from that moment, all it tries to do is cheat."

- Louise Glück

Fyodor was worried for Kate. All morning, she had never emerged from her room and he heard no sound from inside. Kate wasn't the type of woman to be late or not attend something as important as their negotiations. After an hour passed from their designated negotiation time, he decided to finally check up on her.

At first, he knocked softly on her door. He knew she would hear it if she were inside. He waited for another minute before he carefully opened the door. He found her bed to be unmade but she wasn't seen. Her bed sheets were twisted and it almost looked like someone had gotten into an altercation with them. He made his way around the room, looking for her but he didn't find her. As he looked around some more, he realised the bathroom door was mostly closed with about an inch open. He made his way over and carefully pushed the door open.

His eyes widened and his heart raced at what he saw. Kate was laying on the floor, drenched in sweat. Her face was pale and had a sickly green glow to it. She was curled up on the floor with a hand reaching out towards the sink. Fyodor threw himself to the floor as he rolled her onto her back. He brought his ear down to her face to feel and listen for breathing. When he couldn't find anything, he brought his fingers to her neck. She was burning up, even on her neck. But thankfully she had a pulse. He screamed for Ivan with desperation.

Ivan had never heard such an animalistic sound leave his master's body. He was frightened beyond belief when it rang through his ears. He felt as though he were a child who had heard a banshee's scream-- he just knew something was terribly wrong. So he ran to his master, his heavy, urgent footsteps echoing through the house.

When Ivan found his master in Kate's room, Fyodor was holding Kate in his arms in a bridal style. Her head was tilted back, eyes shut. Her entire body was limp and she was in a sorry state.

"Ivan, get a towel with cold water for her, and an extra sheet," Fyodor ordered in a desperate state. Ivan simply nodded before rushing out, not wishing to see his master in such a state.

Fyodor laid her on the opposite side of the bed, where the sheets and covers were still made. Her hair was sticking to her forehead and Fyodor ever so delicately plucked it off of her face and brushed it back. She stirred-- only slightly, but it was enough to motivate Fyodor. He cursed Ivan's slowness at this moment and wanted nothing more than to fetch the things himself... but he couldn't leave her like this, not when her life depended on him.

Fyodor always knew that because of his ability, people's lives literally were in his hands, but this was different. Then again, it was always different with her. He felt that in this instance, her life was in his hands but not because she was unaware, because she depended on him. She needed him or else she was most likely sure to die. In his eyes, this reliance upon him made it so different from the others.

Ivan finally returned with everything Fyodor had asked for. Together, they put the sheet over Kate's entire body. Fyodor then placed the cold towel over her forehead, trying to cool her down. Together, the pair sat in silence, watching Kate. This continued for nearly three hours, but neither had noticed how much time had truly passed.

"If tomorrow she is still in this state, I want you to fetch a doctor who performs home visits," Fyodor stated to Ivan. Ivan nodded his head.

Throughout the remainder of the day, Fyodor remained at her side, not eating, working, or ever leaving. It was Ivan who urged his master to eat and take breaks, but he refused. Fyodor had even taken her hand and held it in his. The warmth was different from the previous time. Her warmth was shockingly hot and burned him if he held onto it for too long. It was then that he knew this sickness was not something within ordinary bounds; this was a sickness being brought on by a special ability. The only question he had was whose?