Part 47

"I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time."

- Banksy

Sigma walked down the staircase in a silent and delicate manner. He was graceful with his steps, much like Kate. It wasn't until he cleared his throat that the three men sitting together in silence looked up.

"Well?" Nikolai asked while Fyodor jumped up to his feet.

Sigma only looked away guiltily with a slight head shake. Fyodor closed his eyes, trying to contain his frustration and anger. He walked into the kitchen, knowing it wasn't smart to be around others in this moment.

"Master needs some time alone." Ivan nodded his head, not quite knowing what else to say.

"She's asked for each of you... separately though." Sigma announced.

Nikolai and Ivan shared a look before silently deciding who would go first. Nikolai would go first while Ivan attended to his master and cooled him down enough for her. Ivan would not send in a raging Fyodor while Kate was this sick, he cared about her too much to do something like that.

Nikolai walked up the stairs and knocked softly on the door before entering.

"Hey, bunny." He smiled softly as he walked over to her side.

"Kolya, how I've missed you these days you were gone." She held her hand out and he took it.

"Don't let Fyodor hear you say that, you know how jealous he gets." He rolled his eyes, making Kate giggle before breaking into a coughing fit. Nikolai's brows furrowed at this sight and his eyes fell to the floor. As soon as it ceased, she continued speaking.

"I love you too though, I've realised that. Our meeting was under very interesting circumstances but ultimately you did help me back then. You've continued to help me since then and for that, I am eternally grateful." She smiled, her eyes already becoming watery.

"Don't cry, bunny." He smiled as he cupped her cheek with his free hand. He then continued in a whisper, "I envy you for the freedom you'll receive. I'm gonna miss you so much though."

"I'll miss you more." She pressed her lips together tightly, a feeble attempt to ease her pain. He closed his eyes as he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

Nikolai wasn't always the most gentle man in the world at times, but for her, he could be. He went out of his way to be sweet and gentle with her when he knew she needed it. He wasn't like Fyodor who was always cold, no, he was warm when she was cold. She was grateful for his efforts because they meant someone cared, someone was trying... for her.

"Who knew goodbyes hurt this badly," she sniffled as she tried to ease the sadness in the room, her cold hand reaching up to touch his cheek.

"Everyone but you, my dear." He kept his eyes closed as his forehead rested on hers. He eventually pulled away with much reluctance and stood, letting her hand fall back to her side.

"I'll get Ivan for you." He announced, walking out quickly, unable to stay any longer.

Kate was not left in her solitude for long because Ivan was quick to enter with urgency.

"Ivan, slow down." She smiled as she reassured him. He nodded his head and began to slow his breathing.

"Come, sit down with me for a minute." She waved at the chair beside her bed. He walked over and sat down, staring at his hands in his lap with a frown. She opened her mouth to speak but he beat her to it.