🎄 Christmas Special 🎄

"Love all God's creation, both the whole and every grain of sand. Love every leaf, every ray of light. Love the animals, love the plants, love each separate thing. If thou love each thing thou wilt perceive the mystery of God in all; and when once thou perceive this, thou wilt thenceforward grow every day to a fuller understanding of it: until thou come at last to love the whole world with a love that will then be all-embracing and universal."

- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Kate thanked Nikolai for what had seemed like the millionth time as they walked together down the street. Kate wanted to get some things for Ivan and Fyodor for Christmas but she could never do so with either around. Ivan was reliable to keep secrets for his master, but it would turn into a shopping spree of his own agenda, and Fyodor was a hit or miss with pointless secrets such as this. So, Kate turned to Nikolai to help her do things in secret.

Nikolai rather enjoyed being an option for Kate, someone for her to turn to when she couldn't trust Fyodor or Ivan. He thought it all to be scandalous, but nevertheless, he loved it so. He enjoyed being valued, especially by the woman with who he had a terrible first impression; this was his chance to make it up to her. He desperately wanted Kate to like him for some reason; perhaps the pedestal that Fyodor had put her on had transferred to Nikolai as well, or perhaps he only wanted to surpass the expectations she had set for him in her mind. He couldn't be sure.

"Do you think Ivan will like what I've picked out for him?" Kate asked, doubt creeping into her tone.

"Why wouldn't he?" Nikolai shrugged.

"I... I think I'm just nervous, I've never had this hard of a time getting gifts for people before. Usually, I have a list or something else to go off of, but I have nothing this time." She tucked some hair behind her ear. Nikolai noticed this small gesture of hers and instantly wanted to ease her worries.

"Explain to me why you chose all that for his gift." Nikolai stopped her, only searching for an answer to see how confident she was in her choice.

"Ivan is the one who runs errands so he constantly uses his winterwear, and what he does have is falling apart. I just think it would be practical, besides, he's not used to being pampered like I am. I think its fair if I can share how fortunate I am with him-"

"It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. You know he'll like it and yet you seek approval-- for someone to tell you that you're right to make your own choices." He cut her off with a truth, something she knew but never wanted anyone else to notice.

"I've actually gotten something for you as well." She spoke after a minute of uncomfortable silence.

"Did you really?" He asked, his eyes widening in astonishment. She nodded her head to answer him while she searched in one of the bags in her hand.

"And you're giving it to me now?" He quirked a brow.

"I won't see you for a while after this, I'm sure of it." She answered as she pulled out a small black cloth.

"What's this?" He asked, taking it from her hands gently before unwrapping the cloth with care.

"A lockpicking kit. If you're someone who likes to be as free as he claims, I figured you'd take that both metaphorically and physically... so..." She bashfully explained as she leaned forwards and backwards.

Nikolai's heart warmed at the sight of the thoughtful gift in his hands. She had to have paid attention to the small pieces of conversations he's had with her or in front of her in order to have learned this about him. This didn't worry him, in fact, it did the opposite. He had never felt so relieved to know that someone was actually listening to his babbling nonsense.