🍂 Thanksgiving Special 🍂

"It is very important to go out alone, to sit under a tree-- not with a book, not with a companion, but by yourself-- and observe the falling of a leaf, hear the lapping of the water, the fisherman's song, watch the flight of a bird, and of your own thoughts as they chase each other across the space of your mind. If you are able to be alone and watch these things, then you will discover extraordinary riches which no government can tax, no human agency can corrupt, and which can never be destroyed."

-  Jiddu Krishnamurti

How would one describe thankfulness to someone who has not felt it before? One might say thankfulness is a warmth in your heart you get when you know that someone or something holds so much value to you that you cannot bear to let it belong to someone else. That might be crossing into desire too much, but if this were true then what would be the real way to describe thankfulness? Perhaps it's like love in the sense that it stems from wanting something due to its usefulness.

Kate had never known true thankfulness before Fyodor. She had nothing to be grateful for; abuse, manipulation, fighting-- were these things she was supposed to be grateful for? How laughable. The only thing she had to be grateful for in her life was Fyodor and Ivan, her faithful Russian men.

Kate liked celebrating holidays but she disliked the holidays themselves, they were boring and pointless. Why celebrate something that should be praised daily? Valentine's day-- love yourself and your partner as if each day were your last. Easter-- what even was celebrated if you weren't Christian? How uninclusive and dull. Fourth of July-- Independence; what about independence day, was it supposed to be different? Halloween-- scary... too scary for Kate. Thanksgiving-- be thankful daily... weekly at least. Christmas-- yet again another holiday for the Christians, just give gifts normally (she knew that was what it was all about). Kate found meaning in none of these but she continued to practice them despite this.

"Kate, I've just checked the calendar." Fyodor walked into the sitting room with his phone in his hand.

"Did you? What did you find that excites you this much?" Kate raised an eyebrow, placing her book in her lap.

"You didn't tell me it was an American holiday today. Thanksgiving." He answered, a bit confused by her newfound lack of enthusiasm.

"I didn't think you cared to know, truthfully... and I forgot what day it falls in since it changes annually." Her brows creased together slightly as she thought of the date situation.

"I'm sorry, what?" Fyodor now wore a frown of his own.

"It's not on the same date, it's the last Thursday of November I think... you know, I'm not too sure myself." Kate's hand went to her chin as she thought.

"That's rather strange and specific but very well." Fyodor nodded his head, trying to move past the odd placement. "The point is you haven't tried to get us to celebrate it."

"Should I have?" She questioned nonchalantly as she raised the book to her face again.

"I'm not sure. You like your American holidays, do you not? It's odd that you don't want to celebrate this one. What changed?" He asked, sitting beside her. She sighed softly as she closed her book.

"Thanksgiving is a terrible holiday I've realised. I don't like the food and I never had any reason to truly celebrate it. I am very thankful now for the life you have given me. I have a purpose when I am with you and I can only express my gratitude daily, not on one measly holiday." She answered.

Fyodor's eyes widened at her confession. He had truly given her a purpose? Did she believe those words or were they something she simply said to stroke his ego? He had given her purpose as though he were God... perhaps she was right although he didn't know what purpose he gave her. He was grateful either way that she saw his Holy Light.