Part 38

"If something burns your soul with purpose and desire, it's your duty to be reduced to ashes by it. Any other form of existence will be yet another dull book in the library of life."

- Charles Bukowski

Days passed since Kate's conversation with Kamui and she tried her best to continue on as though she hadn't spoken with him at all, as though she hadn't learned something horrible. She slowly gained her strength back, which Fyodor was rather pleased about. He had taken her out to dinner to celebrate her recovery. She wanted to stay in and not go out but she knew this was one of the few ways that Fyodor knew how to show affection towards her-- by taking her out of the house on dates. Kate was used to going out so much that she had become a homebody, but Fyodor was beginning to itch to leave the house more with her by her side. He wanted to show her off, call him a braggart but he could care less. He felt he just had so much going for him that he could rule the world.

However, trouble had brewed while they were out at dinner together. Fyodor's phone buzzed urgently with a text. Fyodor being the gentleman he was, ignored it since it was merely a text. Kate's eyebrow raised at this.

"Shouldn't you check on that?" She asked, pointing to the phone on the table.

"There's no need to, I am celebrating with the love of my life after all, everything else can wait. I just want to enjoy our time." He shook his head, placing his phone in his pocket. She reluctantly nodded.

The persistent phone continued to buzz from inside his pocket, begging for his attention. He grew increasingly annoyed and could feel himself beginning to lose his patience. The phone was buzzing from calls now, not even texts. He placed a finger up to Kate, signalling he needed a moment to answer the phone.

"What?" He growled into the phone.

"Master, it's urgent!" Ivan was breathless.

"It had better be," Fyodor muttered.

"They've placed a hit out for Kate. She's got a price on her head, dear Fedya, and a mighty high one at that." Nikolai's voice suddenly cut into the conversation.

"Kolya?" Fyodor questioned.

"I suggest you get out of there while you still can, everyone will be coming for you, even Miroslav." Nikolai gagged when he mentioned the mafia boss' name.

"That two-timing son of a bitch." Fyodor narrowed his eyes.

"Russia's entire underground will come for you two." As Nikolai spoke, Fyodor's eyes scanned their environment, looking for anything that could be perceived as a threat.

"Sigma." A name that Kate had never heard before slipped Fyodor's lips. She leaned forwards out of instinct as she tried to gather more information on what was happening to make Fyodor so... scared.

"He hasn't popped up yet. I don't know how long it will take me to track him down." Nikolai argued.

"Just do it. I want him in front of Kate as soon as possible. The house in China is prepared, right?" Fyodor asked, his voice quick and shakier than Kate had ever heard from him. This scared her to the very bone. Fyodor was afraid, whatever it was that was happening, he had absolutely no control over it.

Fyodor didn't even bother saying goodbye before hanging up. He kept his gaze to the table before slowly looking up to Kate. She worried that he knew what Kamui told her, this was what that look was all about.

"Fyodor..." She began carefully.

"Come on," He stood suddenly before looking around.

"I--" She opened her mouth to speak as she shook her head.