Part 20

"The safest road to hell is the gradual one-- the gentle slope soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts."

- C. S. Lewis

Fyodor and Kate refused to go to breakfast (well, Kate under the influence of Fyodor's decision). They returned to their room where Kate sat on her bed with an expressionless face. There, Fyodor worried for her.

"Kate, is everything okay?" He asked for what must have been the millionth time. She simply sat still, never moving and hardly blinking.

"You're worrying me." He used his cold fingers to brush her cheek.

"Please say something." He pleaded. When she said nothing, he sighed in disappointment.

He stood from the bed, deciding it was best to leave her to her own feelings. He cared for her, yes, but even he knew some people needed space to find their own train of thoughts. He didn't wish to pester her because that would ruin everything and she would flee from him.

Fyodor began to pack his suitcase, which caught Kate's attention.

"What are you doing?" She asked, standing up quickly.

"There's nothing left here." He answered vaguely.

"I'm here." She answered with teary eyes. Fyodor heard her voice crack and he turned around at this. He saw her slumped shoulders shaking and her eyes watering, pure heartbreak within every inch of her image.

"Kate." His face softened as he took the sight of her in. He had never before seen her look so broken. He knew it was hidden within her but he didn't think he would get to see it. Yet here she was, heartbreak and all.

"Please don't leave me." She whimpered, trying her best to hold in the tears that filled her eyes indefinitely.

"I wouldn't dream of it." He rushed over and wrapped his arms around her, capturing her in his surprisingly warm embrace.

"I want us to leave this place together, I want to take you away." He said as he held her tightly. Her body was shaking with her silent sobs as she gripped his coat tightly, trying to prevent him from leaving her.

"You just have to say the words and it'll be done." He whispered in her ear, his tone and close proximity sending chills down her spine. He wanted her to admit that he had won and she was his. He had gotten his way.

"Please." She croaked out. He smiled devilishly, closing his eyes out of pure euphoria.

The Demon that was disguised as God had conquered the angel finally. She was his, mind and soul only since he had yet to conquer her body. She was simply his trophy, not yet his concubine. He had done it in a way that made it all seem natural, unrefined, not tampered with, virgin. She had fallen into his slow, inevitable trap. With her in his clutches, he felt able to accomplish anything. He could walk on water if he truly wanted to, so long as she was his. If he was able to tempt and corrupt this divine creature, then he surely could get the book for himself.

Fyodor packed her bag as well as his and put them by the door. The next fork in the road was the decision of having her say goodbye to her family or simply taking her away. When he couldn't decide, he simply asked her. She couldn't face her family knowing all that was said about her. The butlers loaded the car and the couple walked out of the house, Kate tucked safely under Fyodor's arm.

"Katherine Alexandra Chopin, stop this instant!" Her mother, Daisy, shouted after them.

"We're returning to Russia," Fyodor said, keeping Kate safe from her mother's rage.