Part 48

"I will remember the kisses

our lips raw with love

and how you gave me

everything you had

and how I

offered you what was left of

me,

and I will remember your small room

the feel of you

the light in the window

your records

your books

our morning coffee

our noons our nights

our bodies spilled together

sleeping

the tiny flowing currents

immediate and forever

your leg my leg

your arm my arm

your smile and the warmth

of you

who made me laugh

again."

- Charles Bukowski

The priest's lips moved despite the cries of very few who were saddened by the untimely death of Kate Chopin. Fyodor's lip curled into a scowl as he saw these tears. Why were they crying? They had killed her, not to mention everything they had done before that. They disgusted Fyodor-- humans disgusted him.

Nikolai and Ivan stood behind him on either side, watching her services from afar. They weren't going to get any closer much to Ivan's disappointment. He wanted to be closer to her but wasn't going to defy his master's order to stay within the shadows. Nikolai on the other hand would have defied this order if not for the pure pain on Fyodor's face.

It was obvious that Fyodor wanted to get closer, to tell off everyone who was there at her funeral services for not actually caring about her. They disrespected her simply by being there and he wanted to let them know that. But he knew that Kate would strongly disagree with that and therefore he was going to follow her wishes. He didn't know if she wanted to be returned to her family but he did it anyway, understanding that it was the right thing to do. But if he had the choice, she would have remained with him forever like they had promised one another.

"Lovely services, don't you agree?" A voice asked from behind him. Fyodor's frighteningly blank face shifted and he now curled his lip. He turned around to face the leader of the infamous Guild.

They had never met in person before, Kate was their middle man who dealt with all their affairs. Fitzgerald only had two members of the guild behind him, a man who looked strikingly similar to a priest and a woman who looked very nervous to be there at all.

"She hated funerals because of their hypocrisy," Fyodor responded, turning his attention back to the service which now had mourners placing flowers on her pure, white coffin. Once again, his face fell numbly.

"Oh, interesting." Fitzgerald simply remarked, obviously not caring about this fact as much as Fyodor and his group did.

"Why are you here?" Nikolai snapped at the blonde man.

"Now, Nikolai, let's not be rude." Fyodor scolded calmly.

"I wanted to see where we stood in terms of our alliance." Fitzgerald completely ignored Nikolai's outburst and continued to address only Fyodor.

"Your part of the deal was fulfilled, was it not? Meaning that I will fulfil my part as well." Fyodor answered, still not so much as glancing at the man who was still trying to capture his complete attention.

"Good, I'm relieved to hear you say that." Fitzgerald visibly relaxed, which is something no man should ever make the mistake of doing in Fyodor's presence.

"Is that all?" Fyodor asked, finally turning to Fitzgerald with a stone face and icy eyes.

"Yes, that was it. I look forwards to maintaining friendly relations with you." He turned and left with his people. Fyodor and his company said nothing, simply watching them leave.

When they were finally far enough, Nikolai couldn't hold in his distaste for them. "They annoy me. A woman is dead and all they care about is their alliance with you?" He scoffed, ready to go on a killing spree.

"Not to worry, Kolya, I'm betraying them soon," Fyodor spoke, easing Nikolai instantly.

"Good, they deserve it." Nikolai huffed.

Fyodor wanted to join Kate as soon as he could, but he didn't want to die. She had given her life up for his cause, he couldn't waste this opportunity she gave him. He knew this mission he was going to have with Ivan and Pushkin was going to result in someone's death should they follow the plan correctly. He was ready for that to be the effect of the actions they were about to take. He was jealous that his underlings would get to see Kate again before he could.

"Ivan," Fyodor spoke to his loyal follower.

"Yes, sir?" Ivan asked, looking to his master.

"You'll get to return to Kate before me. Oh, how I envy you. Promise me that you'll follow this request even after an earthly death." Fyodor had a serious look on his face. Ivan was frightened by this look but knew he would do anything for his master.

"Of course." He bowed his head, awaiting his master's order.

"Tell Kate 'hi' for me." Fyodor's face broke into a small, sad smile.

"Of course, sir." Ivan closed his eyes with his head hanging. He too missed the young woman that was Kate Chopin.