Part 14

"Our cause is never more in danger than when a human is no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and still asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys."

- C.S. Lewis

"Fyodor," Kate spoke up softly. He hummed in question.

"Please, I beg of you, please be on your best behaviour these next few days. My reputation means everything to me and if it were to be ruined after all these years of building it up, I-"

"You don't have to worry about me, I'll be the best I possibly can be." He stopped her. He didn't want to hear it; he didn't want to hear her say she was scared of him embarrassing her. He knows it but it still stung to hear aloud.

"Thank you." She nodded her head with a grateful expression of relief.

The car ride isn't silent, Kate and Fyodor made small talk and he learned of her love for lemon scones. He liked learning these little facts about her because he knew that nobody else cared to listen or even ask. It made him feel special.

Kate, in turn, learned of Fyodor's mild dislike of chebureki, which was fascinating because she also agreed. They agreed that it was nothing to brag about but nothing to keep a secret either. If there were other options, they certainly wouldn't choose chebureki as their first option. It wasn't as good as others made it seem. Kate described the flavour as "definitely coming from Soviet Russia." To which Fyodor laughed heartily at.

The pair arrived at the estate and the driver opened the door for them. Fyodor exited the vehicle first so that he could help her out. She appreciated his little acts of kindness, especially in America where she was a big celebrity and eyes were on her the entire time, watching ever so closely.

The butlers greeted Kate with kind smiles before leading the couple inside to the sitting room where the rest of her family was waiting-- minus her sister. Kate quickly reminded Fyodor that they had to speak in English starting now. He only nodded as they were led into the room.

"Katherine, it's good to have you home." Her father stood upon her arrival and greeted her with a visibly stiff and uncomfortable hug. The family wasn't so touchy with each other so this was all an act put on for those who didn't grow up there (being Antoine's wife and Fyodor for the time being).

"Katherine, how lovely to see you in person again. How long has it been?" Her mother quickly turned to small talk, guilting her daughter.

"A month, I believe," Kate answered shyly, a tight smile forming on her lips. A malicious glint appeared in her mother's eyes, something different from a predator with its prey.

This look was something that could be compared to the way the snake looked at Eve as he tricked her into sinning. A predator and prey dynamic is between two animals who understand their place and therefore took nothing personally, but Eve believed she was an equal to the snake, maybe a superior even, so she didn't expect such treachery. That was the difference between the looks that Kate received from people of higher standings than her. She never expected this treachery.

"My, how long." Her mother raised an eyebrow.

"Who is this young man?" Her father asked, his eyes taking in Fyodor's outfit. He liked the style, it fit the modern-day youth.

"This is Fyodor Dostoevsky, he's from Russia." Kate introduced Fyodor with a small smile.

"Christopher Chopin, a pleasure to meet you." He held his hand out for Fyodor, who produced a small smile before grasping his hand with a firm grip.