Part 26

"Is that all you want to be? Liked? Wouldn't you rather be passionately voraciously desired?"

- Margaret Atwood

Kate had been dreaming of tasting a s'more ever since her brother came back from his camp. Her mother would have never allowed her to try one but her mother wasn't here, Fyodor was. He seemed as equally as excited as she was to try this treat. Kate never received this type of support in her own home. This was a simple emotional support that meant absolutely nothing to anyone else except for her.

Kate had set everything up for the evening of smores, she refused to let Ivan help, stating, "You need to let me help you sometimes. In fact, take this as a thank you for all you do for Fyodor and me." How could Ivan possibly argue against that when his master was glaring at him from behind Kate. He had to reluctantly give in, worried about the mess Kate would make.

Ivan and Fyodor sat in the sitting room in front of the fireplace, which was lit. Neither of them had said anything, they had no need to. Fyodor sighed, checking the time on his cellphone.

"Kate, darling, how much longer are you going to make Ivan and I wait?" Fyodor called out into the kitchen.

"Just a minute longer!" She called back, her voice only muffled slightly. The walls in the house were thin after all.

Ivan impatiently sighed and his posture fell, to which Fyodor responded by glaring daggers at him. Instantly Ivan sat back up and cleared his throat, looking away. Almost a second later Kate walked in with a cutting board full of marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate bars, and some skewers. She had it set up like a charcuterie board on a budget.

"What do we do? Explain to us." Fyodor waved his hand out, waiting for Kate's instructions.

"Alright. I did a lot of research and watched about a million videos for this. We put the marshmallow on the stick and roast it over the flame to whatever degree of roast we would like. Then we have the graham crackers and chocolate set up. Lastly, we put the marshmallow in between the chocolate and graham crackers and we should have a s'more." She explained with a smile on her face. Fyodor nodded slowly while Ivan nodded quickly. Fyodor didn't really understand but he knew he would figure it out eventually. Ivan understood right away, not finding a problem with her instructions the way Fyodor did.

They all put marshmallows on their sticks and began to roast them. Ivan's instantly caught fire but he didn't move to blow it out, which caused Kate to cringe. He only pulled it back when it refused to burn anymore. Kate's roasted perfectly to a golden crisp. Fyodor's marshmallow caught fire in some spots but he was quick to blow them out. When they all finally made the sandwiches and tried them, they were amazed at the sweetness despite the chocolate being bittersweet.

"This is delicious, how do you like yours?" Kate asked, turning to the men. Ivan nodded dreamily with his eyes closed.

"It's divine, Kate. Good choice." Fyodor nodded his head before taking another bite.

"Kate, I'll never doubt you again about anything ever." Ivan looked at her with half-lidded eyes. Kate only smiled, struggling to contain her laughter. Fyodor shook his head with a soft smile at the pair before him. He loved these two more than he could ever explain.

"Did it live up to your expectations?" He asked Kate.

"Yes, it did." She nodded her head with a happy smile, looking down at the floor.

"Can I have another one?" Ivan asked, looking up with charred marshmallow on his lips.

"Yes, of course!" Kate exclaimed, handing him the necessary ingredients.