Part 37

"I think that my only hope in this terrible life of mine is to know that you sense that I remember you and love you like nothing else in the world."

- Nikos Kazantzakis

Fyodor typed away on his computer with fingers as fast as his thoughts. He wasn't an idiot, he knew he couldn't trust this drug that Kate's parents had been giving her all those years. He had seen what they had done to her and he wasn't going to trust them so easily. He had decided to look into the ability user that created this drug so that he could gain some insight on it. He knew trying to break down its chemical components would simply be a waste of time.

Fyodor's phone rang whilst he was in the middle of typing so he ignored it. He didn't realise the phone didn't ring for as long as he hoped and missed the call completely. When he finished typing and picked up his phone, he was too late. A missed call from the big boss awaited him. He cursed at this and quickly tried to redial his boss but didn't get an answer much to his avail. He bit the tip of his finger as he pondered what he should do now.

What was unknown to him was that his boss knew other ways to get Fyodor to answer. He was a busy man and didn't have time to waste trying to get Fyodor to answer his phone. No, Kamui had already moved on to something bigger and better.

"Hello?" Kate answered her phone with the strongest voice she could manage, which sounded sickly even know.

"I did say we would talk again, didn't I?" A familiar voice hummed into the phone. Kate instantly tensed and held her breath.

"You did say that. Forgive my bluntness but how did you get my number?" She asked, narrowing her eyes.

"There it is, your false politeness. Oh, how I've missed it." Kamui laughed.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" She asked, ignoring his previous words completely

"It would seem that my demon has found an angel to bring about his salvation. But she is a false prophet, aren't you? You are no angel, you are merely his doll, the demon's doll, Kate Chopin. My, how the mighty do fall." He taunted.

"Is that all you've called for? To offend me?" She kept her composure much better than he expected. He smiled at this.

"No, on the contrary actually. I've heard about the American government abandoning you and declaring you their enemy-- off records, of course, they have nothing to pin on you yet." He spoke matter-of-factly. "Which means you are no enemy of mine nor do you jeopardize our mission in the Decay of Angels. With all this being said, your boyfriend didn't answer my call because he is looking into you yet again." He surprised Kate with those words.

"What?" Kate questioned.

"The drugs that you've taken for all these years, he has been looking into them; wasting our resources by doing so, even." He audibly pouted at this. "He's not found much but I can tell you what he wants to know. But this is only if you want me to." He suddenly grew very serious and this frightened Kate.

"What you tell me, will it harm Fyodor in any way?" She asked.

"So selfless, so brave, he's lucky to have someone as pure as you all to himself. He will be hurt by what I will tell you, yes, but if you don't tell him then he will continue on with all being well." He answered.

"If I say no, will you tell him anyway?" She asked, her brows creasing together slightly.

"No, this should stay between you and me, it shouldn't concern him to begin with." He answered quickly and firmly. Kate knew that the information he held was something that could break Fyodor should he find it out. She couldn't let him be hurt by something that was her own problem to deal with.

"I want to know." She answered finally, determined to save Fyodor before he could try to save her.

"Okay." Kamui smiled pitifully.

His words made Kate's blood run cold and her limbs become heavy. She believed it, absolutely, but she had been broken yet again. There was no hope for her, every time she thought she was beginning to bounce back from a hit like this, there was always something else to drag her down again. She would never mentally heal from anything she had gone through, she would remain broken, empty, unfixable-- a doll-- forever.

"Why did you tell me this?" Kate asked, her voice hollow, devoid of any emotion.

"Because it doesn't matter anyway, you and I both know your fate. You cannot stay with Fyodor forever, his dream will never come true so long as you keep taking over that title. You're a smart girl, a good soldier, I would've been honoured to have you on my team." His words were sincere.

"What can I do? Please, give me an order, Kamui-sama." She begged.

"You still do not know how to make true decisions on your own, you poor thing." He clicked his tongue.

"Please," She whispered.

"You're not my subordinate, my dear, not even close." He taunted her.

"I'll give myself up to you, my loyalty, my money, my name-- everything I have! Please accept me and give me an order!" She begged, desperation in her tone that would've made Kamui pity her if he didn't know her past; No, he did pity her even more so that he knew her past

"Do not let him know anything I've told you. He won't recover from it and it will ruin everything if we lose him. He will stop at nothing to destroy everyone and everything. For now, continue as though nothing changed, it's better if it's this way." He finally gave her what she asked for.

"Thank you." She spoke shakily.

"Don't destroy him like you've done to yourself." He gave her a final warning.

"Why do you wish to rid the world of abilities?" She suddenly asked.

"That is Fyodor's ultimate goal, the organisation will support this goal so long as he continues to support us. I only want to expose the world for what it really is." He answered.

"If you wish to do that, you'll have to sink just as low as everyone else." She stated.

"Don't worry about me, you already have so much on your plate for such a tiny girl. I believe this is the last time we will talk to one another. Tell Fyodor I called him by mistake. Take care of yourself, Kate Chopin." He spoke calmly with a soft voice.

"You too, Kamui." She smiled slightly before he hung up, ending the call.

Kate exhaled deeply and put her arms up on the top of her head. She had so much to think about now, thoughts that only she could know. She had done this a million times before but she knew this time was different, so different. There was so much she wanted to say but so little she could actually do.

Kate was as stuck as she always was, nothing had changed except for the fact that she had fallen in love. She had something to lose now-- the demon that had saved her.