Part 46

"As everything was dying, I did, I did grow-- as big as the world-- and my conscience wider than the sea! Last sun. I explode. I am the fire. I am the sea. The world is dissolving but I am the world."

- Aimé Césaire

"This way," Ivan led the foreign man known as Sigma upstairs into the bedroom that the sick woman was being held in.

When the door opened and a dark-haired Russian man was sitting beside her, holding onto her hand, Sigma didn't know what to expect from the situation. Fyodor's head snapped over to the trio crowding the doorway.

"Fedya, I found Sigma." Nikolai stated from beside the obvious "finding" that was Sigma.

"Mister Sigma, I've heard so much about you." Fyodor greeted the man in English as he rushed over to offer a handshake. Sigma accepted the shake nervously.

"It's, uh, nice to meet you too I suppose. I haven't heard much about you I'm afraid." He shook his head awkwardly.

"Has Nikolai explained our situation to you?" He asked, quickly glancing at the clown.

"Very briefly." He nodded his head.

Nikolai hadn't really explained anything about the situation at all. He kidnapped Sigma before explaining that an omniscient being had the answers Sigma had been searching for. When the expected scepticism came, Nikolai assured him that this man was the one he had been searching his whole life for. Nikolai spoke about how he knew Sigma's ability and gave him the opportunity to use it to learn the truth. A deal was struck and Sigma agreed to go along with the very strange jester.

"This woman is going to be my bride. She was mercilessly used by many higher authorities until I saved her. She has been hunted by them and harassed time and time again. She's been poisoned for years and doesn't have much time left. You must save her." Fyodor explained as bluntly as Nikolai expected him to. He knew that Fyodor would play no games when it came to Kate's safety.

"I'm... I'm not a doctor though. She needs a doctor, why wouldn't you get her one?" Sigma asked as he slowly walked over to Kate.

"Because of your special ability. You can give any information that a person wants to know and in return, you receive whatever information from them that you wish to know. Is that not how it works?" Fyodor asked plainly.

"It is, how did you...?" Sigma's eyebrows furrowed nervously.

"I have the answers you are looking for." Fyodor's eyes gleamed with something Sigma didn't know, something he would never know. The nerve-wracking sly smile made Sigma realise he was frozen in place.

Sigma had heard of a Demon in Russia, someone who was omniscient and an absolute nightmare. Sigma didn't believe those rumours but after feeling the immediate change in the air simply due to Fyodor's impending smile, he was certain this was the Demon. Sigma also realised just how small the room was and how impossible an escape would be. He was trapped and only had one option-- total compliance with these monsters he had blindly followed into a trap.

"No." A frail voice spoke from behind Sigma. He saw Fyodor's eyes widen and he too was startled, especially when he saw Fyodor's wide eyes.

"You won't mess with him." Kate struggled to push herself up into a sitting position. Ivan and Nikolai rushed over to help her at once.

Sigma turned around his head and looked at the sickly woman who was skin and bone. She was weak but he could see that her eyes still glimmered with strength. He couldn't help but admire her for all that she had gone through.