33 - Sons

+Brandy

The morning had come again and all though I still tossed and turned throughout the night, my nerves were somewhat settled, because of Elijah's presence. He held me the entire time, his warm fingers running along my soft skin, eyes lingering to make sure I was alright. He had woken up a bit after I'd fallen asleep to shower, but after he got dressed he came back to remain at my side. His breathing was steady, chest filling up with air as he let it all go and repeated the process.

"Everything hurts like hell," I mumble, my face smushed into the fluffy pillow. It was six in the morning, the sun was beginning to shine, birds chirping.

"Take something for the pain then," Elijah replies, his hand props up to help his head up. My fingers touch his chin, pulling at his facial hair that seems to be growing more than my eyelashes.

"Are you gonna cut this again?" I ask, curiously. "I kinda like when you have a Santa beard."

He laughs and it's nice to hear. "I'm not sure about letting it grow that long, but I think I will let it grow again." He touches my shoulder, outlining my bra strap with his fingers. "Seriously, take something for the pain. It's clear that you need it."

"Elijah, I'm fine."

He rolls his eyes. "Stop saying that, I can read through all that bullshit Brandy, you should know that by now." He grabs a hold of my hand and squeezes it, causing me to wince in pain.

"Ouch! What the hell!"

"Told you, you weren't fine." He says, ignoring my heated gaze. "You don't trust anyone here, I get that but believe me when I say you can trust my brothers and Cort. They'll never have a reason to lead you astray... believe it or not neither does my father or Trinity."

I groan sitting up. "They're your family, of course, you'd think that." My head leans against the wooden headboard. "I don't know them like that and they don't know me like that. Just because they'll never do something like that to you, doesn't mean they won't turn down the chance to do it to me. I'm an outsider who joined your family just yesterday."

"They wouldn't do anything to harm you, especially not my brothers." He sighs. "And if you're not comfortable here, we can leave and just meet back here tonight. I don't mind staying at a hotel, I'm sure it's better than here anyway."

"I'm fine."

He takes my hand, kissing down on the bandage. "You're not."

"I'll have Lilly run down to the store and get you some pain relievers. They'll be new, therefore you won't have a reason not to take them."

I groan as he stares at me. "I'm still not taking them, Elijah. I sound stubborn, I know, but besides not trusting anyone here, I want to feel the pain. Who knows what Elliot's going through right now, what kind of pain he's got to deal with. If he's not getting a reliever, why should I?"

"That's the guilt talking, Brandy. There's nothing for you to feel guilty about, none of this was your fault. You couldn't have possibly known he was going to get taken."

My head shakes. "I'm his mother, I was supposed to know something was off, but instead I looked him in the eyes that day and promised that we'd be back. Yet three days have gone by and he hasn't heard or seen us... Do you know how frightening that is to a child like him? He won't forgive me."

"That's none sense, Brandy. You're his mother, which is all the more reason why he'll forgive you... forgive us."

"I know our son Elijah—-"

"And I don't?" He questions, taking offense.

I sigh. "That's not how I meant it. He's your son, you know him, there's no denying it but I know him more... if that makes any  sense."