5-Readjust✔

+Brandy

God, what is wrong with me? I mean seriously.

I just agreed to help a wanted convict, rob his cousin. That just has to prove that there's something wrong with me. I haven't even called the cops.

"We're gonna need people," Elijah says, tilting his head back. The sound of his voice snaps me out of my thoughts so quickly, that the hair on my back stands up. "It's a five-man operation and without the correct numbering of people, this plan won't work."

Grabbing onto the sharp razor, I tilt his head farther down. "Where do we find these people?" I ask, carefully moving the sharp blade down to his chin. It's been a total of fifty minutes since I've agreed to help him. Well, agreed to become his accomplice in taking down his cousin. Elijah made sure to ask me if I was sure and I only nodded. The room fell silent after that. The only thing we did was stare at each other until he asked me to finish help him with shaving.

So now, we're here. In my bathroom and I'm helping him shave. Trying to make things as normal as possible. "I was thinking we could get some help from your friends."

My hand on the razor trembles a bit. "No, not them. They're cosmologists, not criminals." Resuming to shave him, each stroke of the razor causes smooth skin to emerge. "Can't you get some of your... people to help?"

Elijah grabs my risk and pulls my hand away, before opening his eyes. "They can't help me, not without my father's permission." He looks down at my shaking hand. "Are you afraid of me or something? You keep shaking and you seem nervös."

My eyes squint together. "Ner... vos?" I repeat. "Is that how you guys say nervous in German."

Elijah raises his eyebrows. "Obviously Brandy. Now, stop changing the subject. Are you afraid of me?" He asks, staring into my eyes.

"Yes... no... I don't know." I whisper, uncertain. "I'm not afraid of you, or that's what I'd like to think. I'm more afraid of what you could do to me... what this whole plan could do to me."

Nodding, Elijah takes in my response. "As long as you help me, I'm not going to harm you in any way. And I'll most certainly try my best to keep you safe." He lets go of my risk. "I'm not going to lie to you and say, you'll never be in harm's way. I'm in the mafia and that tends to cause trouble. People get mad... they get jealous and some of them even want revenge." He clears his throat. "What I'm trying to say is, you'll be safe, but only to a certain amount."

My face scrunches up. "You're not making any sense."

He shrugs. "Nothing in life makes any sense."

"You sound stupid," I say boldly. My eyes roll to the back of my head. "Tilt your head back so I can finish this."

Elijah's lips twitch upwards into a smirk. "You get mad easily, kinda like a little cat." He gets back into the correct position and I continue to shave him. "Tomorrow, when you're at work think about those who you know for sure you can trust. And when you figure it out, talk to them about this privately. I'm serious, make sure nobody else can hear your conversation." Elijah stops speaking for a moment when he feels the razor on his neck. I make sure to quickly shave it, before moving back to the top. "If they agree to help, then invite them here."

I shake my head. "Trust me, Elijah, none of my girls are going to agree to this."

Elijah scoffs. "They will once they hear how much money is involved."

My eyebrows knit together. "And exactly how much money is involved?."

He shrugs. "You'll find out tomorrow."

"Why can't I find out now?" I resort back, wiping the shaving cream off his face. "Aren't we like partners or whatever?"

"We are." He says, standing up. "But that doesn't mean you need to know everything."

My eyes widen. "Yes, the fuck it does!" I yell.

Elijah turns around looking at me like I've lost my mind. And for a second, I thought I did too. Everything was just happening so fast, yet it's literally only been an hour since I've agreed to this. "Lower your voice perle," Elijah says sternly.

"No, you're not my dad. I don't have to listen to you." I pause, taking a deep breath. "You come up in my house and... and you give me an ultimatum that jeopardizes everything that I've worked for. And now you want me to keep calm as you keep things from me."

Elijah pinches the bridge of his nose and takes a step back. "You're overreacting Brandy. We barely even started, keep it together!" He snaps. His voice sends chills down my spine. You can tell he's mad. "Trust goes a long way and honestly it's my first time being in the same room as you in years. I don't know you yet, so forgive me if I'm not in a rush to tell you everything."

I stand there, my back leaning against the wall, taking in everything he said. He had a point. We barely did know each other. "You're right," I say, finally speaking up. "We barely do know each other but think it about it. Most women in my situation, they would've been called the cops or at least tried to kill you. I on the other hand, for some stupid reason, didn't do any of that. So doesn't that at least show that I'm trustworthy."

The room falls to a dead silence, only the sound of the a.c. turning on can be heard. Minutes go by before Elijah opens his mouth. "No." He finally admits.

"No?" I repeat, it came out more like a question.

"No." He repeats himself again. "Just because you haven't called the cops or tried to kill me, doesn't make you trustworthy. Trust, for me, is something that takes time. It needs to be earned. Trusting you means that I have full confidence that you won't spill anything I say, to the next person. That you won't use my weakness against me." He takes a step closer. "And as sad as it may sound, you don't give me those vibes."

He somewhat had a point. "You know what? You're right." Sitting down the razor, I walked over to the door, opening it a little. "It's getting late, I'm gonna call it a night. Clean up after you're done and make sure the house doors are locked."

I walk away, not feeling like arguing with him any longer. Elliot had to be at daycare early and I had to be at work on time. Getting into bed, I pull the sheet over me before falling asleep.

 Getting into bed, I pull the sheet over me before falling asleep

I know this chapter is short, but it's a filler. Next one will be better... Promise.