Chapter 31

"Happy Birthday!" Drake said to Nicki as soon she opened the door for him. Today is her actual birthday so he came to see her by surprise since they haven't spoken in a few days.

"Aye, you came!" She gave him a while he closed the door behind him after they came in.

"Of course I did. Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know, work?"

"I am here now, that's all that matters... How' have you been?"

She took a while to answer. "I'm in a happy place."

"Hmm... Can only imagine why."

"I don't think you would guess."

"Can I?"

"Go for it." He tried everything he could possible think of. All wrong. He gave up and we started talking about other things.

We were talking for so long, it got to the point where her lips were just moving to him. He wanted and did go for a kiss until she stopped me with her hand. Drake felt an unusually cold. Grabbing her wrist, he looked at her fingers, hat's when it hit him.

"What's this?" She looked at her ring and brusquely hid her hand.

"What's what?"

"Don't play. Why are you wearing an engagement ring?"

"Because I'm engaged." She looked tensed up.

"I know you're engaged... Did Safaree propose to you?"

"Maybe." He put his hand over his face and sighed. He couldn't believe Safaree did that. She got up from her seat and disappeared into the house for a few seconds then came back. "Why are you getting mad about this anyways?"

"Why am I mad? He left you. And now he comes back with marriage talk. There's something funny about this."

"You act like you didn't leave me too." She mumbled, but he heard her clearly.

"Don't you dare to go there."

"Ah, so now I'm stating facts you don't want to talk about it?"

"Can we not? This isn't about me."

"Right..."

"What the hell were you thinking?" Drake whispered-yelled. This whole thing was taking over my head.

"The fuck you mean what the hell?"

"You accepting his proposal."

"What's wrong with it?"

"Don't you see it? You're rushing into this."

"Well, maybe he loves me."

"If he really loves you, he'd wait for you to be ready, settle down with your career, taking care of OJ."

"This isn't about being ready for marriage or not. It's me committing myself with one I am with."

"You know what? Fine. Have it your way. I'm trying to warn you you're making a big mistake here."

"Wow, I thought you were my friend."

"And I am."

"Then why are you holding me back from this?"

"Look Nic, I want you to be happy, not hurt. You're a good person. I don't think you should be with him." He tried to hold her hands but she snatched me off.

"You know what? Just leave."

"What?"

"Leave. You're getting on my last nerve."

"Okay." Drake got up and went to the doorway. "I'm leaving, but I'll be back."

It was the last thing he said before closing the door.

Drake got in the first available elevator. It seemed like a long ride down. When it stopped he went into his car and locked himself in.

What was she thinking about marrying him? I thought we were starting something new, something fresh. Then Safaree had to come back around and get in my way and propose? Bullshit. She probably loves him a lot, he was always a great friend to her. If you love someone, let them go. I want her to be happy, but it's him that I don't trust.

I just want her to myself. And I not stopping here, nor now.